Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 02:49 AM

Re: Humans Have Stopped Evolving

Originally Posted by MickB ->
He knows because it is obvious. If 95-99% of babies survive to live to old age, then the "survival of the fittest" has ceased to operate. In fact, we are probably going backwards as it appears that the most intelligent members of the species are having less children later in life, while the least intelligent are having more children from an earlier age. The result of this is that the mean intelligence of the species will drop and evolution may go in reverse.
For an example of the implications of this, see the film Idiocracy - a comedy with a very serious theme running through it.

Sorry but that shows a complete lack of understanding of the process of evolution.

'Survival of the fittest' does not refer to living longer but whether a trait allows an organism to survive better than one without that trait which over time means that those with that trait will tend to reproduce more and those without tend to reproduce less.

It doesn't matter about living longer because evolution relies on reproduction. Humans don't reproduce longer but they do currently (in the west) reproduce later which is particularly important for mutation. What effect that will have long term who knows?

As for the rest there is no evidence that human intelligence is decreasing not that intelligence is needed for the survival of a specie - bacteria do very well thank you.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sorry but that shows a complete lack of understanding of the process of evolution.

'Survival of the fittest' does not refer to living longer but whether a trait allows an organism to survive better than one without that trait which over time means that those with that trait will tend to reproduce more and those without tend to reproduce less.

It doesn't matter about living longer because evolution relies on reproduction. Humans don't reproduce longer but they do currently (in the west) reproduce later which is particularly important for mutation. What effect that will have long term who knows?

As for the rest there is no evidence that human intelligence is decreasing not that intelligence is needed for the survival of a specie - bacteria do very well thank you.
Selection can be as you say, a trait that is more successful, better adapted in the habitat that the plant or animal exists in. As the habitat changes the traits that work change.
This can be slow or fast. If there is a catastrophe that eliminates much of the life, then surviving species will fill in the niches that were opened up by that event. Like what happened during the Cretaceous Extinction.
When the dinosaurs became extinct, mammals and birds (left over dinosaurs) took over the "newly" opened habitats and developed traits that worked in those habitats.
Evolution is also slow and incremental. But it is constant and species become extinct or change no matter what.

Humans have not been on earth very long, in fact humans are not even a speck in earth's history.
We have done a lot of changing of habitats by our industry and large population. We have eliminated many species because of these activities. That is in just a speck of geological time.
It's possible that we have changed things enough to insure a change in our situation and we might shrink in population rapidly. In my opinion that is very likely. I don't think we will become extinct in the short term. We have degraded our food sources, water and air. Perhaps enough to create a mass famine, degradation of infrastructure and wars. We will definitely will suffer great consequences.
It might happen in fits and starts. It might take a few generations. It might happen rapidly, even by our standards.
Perhaps some humans will adapt to these changes and succeed or survive for some time. We might evolve into a different species entirely or become extinct.
The earth does not care, it goes on and the geological processes go on and life in general adapts to these things. Life will be on earth long after we are gone. All of our structures and monuments will disintegrate and we will become fossils or remnants in the stratified layers of earth's geology.

Have a nice day!

After reading the initial post, Sir David is wrong in my view. Even if there is a "pause" so to speak we are evolving. Because there is a person that is adapted for the next change in the environment. Let's say transportation, rapid transportation across oceans and from continent to continent collapses. So human populations become isolated. Then adaptation begins again. Humans become more location specific. There are many possible futures and man is still evolving. Could be (take) a couple of thousands of years but that is nothing in earth time.
I say it is happening now. Right under our noses.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If you look at a few of the celebs in celebBB this year you would imagine we are devolving - bed wetting, pooing herself, bragging about sexual encounters Charlotte is really taking us back a few thousand years !
Thats why I dont watch it - Celebs are not my cuppa ....
Idiots
God - they are the 'role models' for the youngsters ! What are we gonna 'evolve' into - I ask meself
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Please tell me that was a joke ... surely no one did all that on screen ?
No joke she has wet the bed, and wet herself when too drunk to get to bed and brags about the rest she has done it all on her normal tv show, Geordie shore, never seen that myself and her descriptions of it have convinced me I never want to see it. She lists her biggest talents as farting to order and giving the best oral sex ever - really key talents for a successful life
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
Selection can be as you say, a trait that is more successful, better adapted in the habitat that the plant or animal exists in. As the habitat changes the traits that work change.

<and the rest>
Can't disagree with any of what you wrote. Actually I don't really know why you quoted me you say exactly the same thing as I did, even to disagreeing with the stupid statement Attenborough made
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
This can be slow or fast. If there is a catastrophe that eliminates much of the life, then surviving species will fill in the niches that were opened up by that event. Like what happened during the Cretaceous Extinction.
When the dinosaurs became extinct, mammals and birds (left over dinosaurs) took over the "newly" opened habitats and developed traits that worked in those habitats.
Evolution is also slow and incremental. But it is constant and species become extinct or change no matter what.

Humans have not been on earth very long, in fact humans are not even a speck in earth's history.
We have done a lot of changing of habitats by our industry and large population. We have eliminated many species because of these activities. That is in just a speck of geological time.
It's possible that we have changed things enough to insure a change in our situation and we might shrink in population rapidly. In my opinion that is very likely. I don't think we will become extinct in the short term. We have degraded our food sources, water and air. Perhaps enough to create a mass famine, degradation of infrastructure and wars. We will definitely will suffer great consequences.
It might happen in fits and starts. It might take a few generations. It might happen rapidly, even by our standards.
Perhaps some humans will adapt to these changes and succeed or survive for some time. We might evolve into a different species entirely or become extinct.
The earth does not care, it goes on and the geological processes go on and life in general adapts to these things. Life will be on earth long after we are gone. All of our structures and monuments will disintegrate and we will become fossils or remnants in the stratified layers of earth's geology.

Have a nice day!

After reading the initial post, Sir David is wrong in my view. Even if there is a "pause" so to speak we are evolving. Because there is a person that is adapted for the next change in the environment. Let's say transportation, rapid transportation across oceans and from continent to continent collapses. So human populations become isolated. Then adaptation begins again. Humans become more location specific. There are many possible futures and man is still evolving. Could be (take) a couple of thousands of years but that is nothing in earth time.
I say it is happening now. Right under our noses.
Blimey, you have been watching too many apocalyptic disaster movies .

Why should we keep evolving? We are the most successful species by far. We might be more or less perfect now. We have good or even great mobility, fingers and thumbs and a brain capable of adapting rapidly to any chance in circumstance.

I don't worry about having to face huge environmental issues such as outlined about - famine or whatever. I find it absolutely astonishing that we can successfully keep shops stocked to the roof with all we can possibly want and more besides all over the world. We are incredibly resourceful.

We could very well evolve in the future as we will probably end up living in isolated habitats glued to monitors and where gadgets cater for our every need. In to what I have no idea but by then I should think they will have found a way to cure obesity and God knows what else.

What could we possibly evolve in to now?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

11-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Blimey, you have been watching too many apocalyptic disaster movies .

Why should we keep evolving? We are the most successful species by far. We might be more or less perfect now. We have good or even great mobility, fingers and thumbs and a brain capable of adapting rapidly to any chance in circumstance.

What could we possibly evolve in to now?
Again a misunderstanding of evolution. Evolution doesn't have an aim (other than survival), nor does it go backwards to end up with something better. It is a random mutation or trait where every change has to be an improvement in the survival stakes so it is impossible to predict what the next stage is other than it will be better at surviving than we are now.

Intelligence, bigger brains, the cognitive process, opposing thumbs etc only came about because they improved survival they were not a thought out process just chance.

Dinosaurs didn't rule the earth for millions of years because they were more intelligent than mammals but because they had traits which enabled them to survive better in their environment. it was chance that made them so and chance that wiped them out. There is no plan.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Again a misunderstanding of evolution. Evolution doesn't have an aim (other than survival), nor does it go backwards to end up with something better. It is a random mutation or trait where every change has to be an improvement in the survival stakes so it is impossible to predict what the next stage is other than it will be better at surviving than we are now.

Intelligence, bigger brains, the cognitive process, opposing thumbs etc only came about because they improved survival they were not a thought out process just chance.

Dinosaurs didn't rule the earth for millions of years because they were more intelligent than mammals but because they had traits which enabled them to survive better in their environment. it was chance that made them so and chance that wiped them out. There is no plan.
Fair enough but we are no longer under any threat from anything whatsoever are we. Everything is there for us, all we could possibly need and more besides. About the only changes I can see taking place now would be physical ones but even then if something causes a problem - such as repetitive strain injury from using a phone or something for instance - then the media becomes aware of it and the gadget evolves in to something else instead of us.

It seems to me we could reach a point where everything is geared to keep the status quo - a nirvana type existence where we are kept in total equilibrium physically and mentally where the rigours that trigger evolution are nowhere to be seen - Utopia.
Seth
Black Rock Vic. Australia
Seth is male  Seth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 09:32 AM

No matter how much drivel is attached to evolution being a fact.....one species changing to another... it is still only a theory. as per Darwins' theory of evolution, adaption is probably more the fact where humans adapted to where they finally settled, With all the accumulated knowledge and wisdom on how to relate to one another we still only wear a veneer of acceptance, as we see by the violence around the world where death is the reward for being different.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 10:06 AM

We wont evolve - cos we wont be here .....

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top