Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 09:47 AM

Re: Overpopulation?

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It would take many generations to dispel old religions and beliefs and you could never force people to do it.
No force is needed. It is a natural cycle.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=ahteis...830bc7dfce548f

Religion of sorts has always been practiced by humans, instigated by lightning or earthquakes or something else (mainly incredible natural events). It is obvious to me that such beliefs are primitive as that is where they stemmed from. We are bound to rise above them eventually.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

Religion of sorts has always been practiced by humans, instigated by lightning or earthquakes or something else (mainly incredible natural events). It is obvious to me that such beliefs are primitive as that is where they stemmed from. We are bound to rise above them eventually
I wouldn't count on it Mark and should that be sink below rather that rise above
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 09:57 AM

...Mark a number of countries do not have land capable of food production and for some people their whole existence is based on tending a few animals.
What are you going to do, give these people a bag of grain to eat and take away the self respect and dignity which comes from providing for themselves.
My argument is not confined locally. It is looking at the issue globally. Enough food can be produced to feed everyone so you merely share it out.

Come on now Meg step it up a bit.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

31-05-2015, 10:00 AM

I wouldn't count on it Mark and should that be sink below rather that rise above
You will see. You will ALL see. My words are right. I will rule the world. It is either my way or no way.

You shall all bow down to me!

Oops. Got a bit carried away there.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:01 AM

...Mark a number of countries do not have land capable of food production and for some people their whole existence is based on tending a few animals.
What are you going to do, give these people a bag of grain to eat and take away the self respect and dignity which comes from providing for themselves.

Poorer countries can be quite capable of producing a lot of food but the political systems and corruption have rendered them very poor at doing so.
The populations tend to move to cities where they live in shanty towns often without employment and hunger and disaster are never far away.
The other issue is that land is often owned by large companies who grow crops like coffee which is sold overseas making large profits but not being used to feed people locally.

Contraception is not well used in poorer countries where women have little say in their lives. You only have to look at the practice of marrying off girls who are still children and are pregnant at a very young age or having miscarriages as they are so young and undernourished.
Contraception is not an option for them. It may seem logical to us with the benefit of a Western way of thinking.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

31-05-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Poorer countries can be quite capable of producing a lot of food but the political systems and corruption have rendered them very poor at doing so.
The populations tend to move to cities where they live in shanty towns often without employment and hunger and disaster are never far away.
The other issue is that land is often owned by large companies who grow crops like coffee which is sold overseas making large profits but not being used to feed people locally.

Contraception is not well used in poorer countries where women have little say in their lives. You only have to look at the practice of marrying off girls who are still children and are pregnant at a very young age or having miscarriages as they are so young and undernourished.
Contraception is not an option for them. It may seem logical to us with the benefit of a Western way of thinking.
Well said. You can be my deputy when I decide to take over the world .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:08 AM

My argument is not confined locally. It is looking at the issue globally. Enough food can be produced to feed everyone so you merely share it out.

Come on now Meg step it up a bit.
Neither is mine, I am talking about countries in places like Africa where villagers run a couple of cows or goats.

There is more to life than eating , there is the dignity which comes with providing for your family .
If I lived in a country where there was little fertile land would I want to swap my couple of animal for bags of grain given to me and sit at home twiddling my fingers and eating a boring diet of just grain.
No thanks, I will graze my animals over a wide area and use their waste to make my small patch of land fertile in order to provide some variety to my diet.
I would need to breed my cows to obtain milk. another valuable addition to a healthy varied diet.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

31-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Neither is mine, I am talking about countries in places like Africa where villages run a couple of cows or goats.

There is more to life than eating , there is the dignity which comes with providing for your family .
If I lived in a country where there was little fertile land would I want to swap my couple of animal for bags of grain given to me and sit at home twiddling my fingers and eating a boring diet of just grain.
No thanks, I will graze my animals over a wide area
and use their waste to make my small patch of land fertile in order to provide some variety to my diet.
I would need to breed my cows to obtain milk another valuable part of my diet.
Of course you would but in theory the land could be made fertile and given over to producing veggies. Animals grazing ruin land. Vast areas are no longer able to have any plant life on them due to animals munching away. The land turned in to deserts.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=over+g...ZI&form=MOZSBR

Who knows how many dead from starvation because of it?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

31-05-2015, 10:13 AM

Of course you would but in theory the land could be made fertile and given over to producing veggies. Animals grazing ruin land. Vast areas are no longer able to have any plant life on them due to animals munching away. The land turned in to deserts.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=over+g...ZI&form=MOZSBR

Who knows how many dead from starvation because of it?
...that is because of the over production of animals in some areas.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Is it the Hindus in India who never eat beef but always keep at least one cow, using everything the cow supplies during it's life time all it's excrement even is taken and used.

When the cow dies it is buried respectfully.

They live on the milk etc the cow supplies and sell the off spring.

The only income they have is from this revered cow.

Grain only grows because of the cow's fertiliser.

Take away their cows and they cannot grow grains or anything else.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top