Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 11:55 AM

Re: The double slit experiment.

I did a bit of quantum maths,I got a PhD in Psychology,I dabbled with Philosophy. My verdict?-life ,the Universe and everything is a bit weird.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I did a bit of quantum maths,I got a PhD in Psychology,I dabbled with Philosophy. My verdict?-life ,the Universe and everything is a bit weird.
But the answer is 42.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 09:20 PM

Quantum physics, a fascinating subject and I love watching anything to do with it, I love it because the ordinary person and the scientist are on level ground, we can all let our imaginations go wild, man finally meets something his brain is not equipped to handle and is baffled because he can’t understand how it works, that’s only human, more software and a few mystical apps need to be installed into the human brain first, that could take a few thousand years of evolution, but one day we will be equipped to use some of the many powers that are all around us , we just don't know how to utilise them, personally I don’t think we are ready for them yet, and nature won't let us near them until we are able to use them without destroying ourselves, that to me is a good thing, just look at what we did with atomic power and what we threaten to do with nuclear power.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
just look at what we did with atomic power and what we threaten to do with nuclear power.
Surely, they're one and the same!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Surely, they're one and the same!
Probably are JBR but they ones the dropped on Japan were called Atomic bombs and the ones they have today are called Nuclear weapons, maybe the names have been changed to protect the innocent?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-08-2016, 11:41 PM

Probably are JBR but they ones the dropped on Japan were called Atomic bombs and the ones they have today are called Nuclear weapons, maybe the names have been changed to protect the innocent?
Not really. The early ones, like those used in the Second World War were 'atom bombs' (or, more scientifically, fission bombs).

More recently (I think the late '50s or early '60s) a much more powerful weapon was developed: the 'hydrogen bomb' (or, to be pedantic, a fission-fusion-fission bomb!).

They're all called 'nuclear weapons' these days and, as far as I'm aware, they're all hydrogen bombs now, although it's possible that North Korea and maybe others trying to develop nuclear weapons are still at the atom bomb stage.

Too compare the two, the atoms bombs dropped on Japan each had a yield of about 200 kilotons (ie, 200,000 tons of high explosive) - or it might have been 20kt, I can't remember now - whereas a typical hydrogen bomb today can have a yield of up to one megaton or more (ie, 1,000,000 tons). I seem to remember that Russia developed one of 25 megatons!

Bomb? Warhead? I suppose that strictly speaking a 'bomb' would be dropped from an aeroplane, whereas a 'warhead' would sit atop a missile. Both do the same thing, of course.

To be honest, I believe that several smaller hydrogen warheads (in a single missile) are better than one very big one of the same combined yield, as they can be spread apart to destroy a wider area. Lovely, eh?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-08-2016, 12:14 PM

Thanks for sorting that out for me JBR, fair play to you, you know your stuff.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2016, 12:42 PM

He does! He might be my phone a friend on 'Who want's to be a Millionaire'.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2016, 12:44 PM

Im sure this is important, and hopefully will be incorporated into the next Star Trek movie, where i might be able to grasp its meaning.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-08-2016, 12:44 PM

No problem. Thanks, but I don't claim to be an expert.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top