Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Frightening scenario - the end of the world

I suppose one day it will happen .

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2016...d-of-the-world
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 07:45 AM

Re: Frightening scenario - the end of the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrnND7-Hsg This sums it all up pretty well I think.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:25 AM

The BBC article must be aimed at teenagers, as it assumes, the survivor will have many decades to make adjustments, most oldies, particularly with mobility issues might just as well sit, and watch it all go by, possibly from the deserted Pharmacy.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:31 AM

I make it a policy never to worry about that over which I have no control, just enjoy what you have for as long as you have it, nothing lasts forever.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:51 AM

Too right Barry, the individual who wants to be last person standing, please take one pace forward.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 10:11 AM

So if the end of the world does happen, you need to team up with a chemist, a baker and a farmer, simples!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I make it a policy never to worry about that over which I have no control, just enjoy what you have for as long as you have it, nothing lasts forever.

Yup, probably the best way to be Barry.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

That's cheerful Muddy just the thing for a cold grey winter's morning.

I don't think it will be in 'my time here' which is definitely limited to a few years so I won't dwell on it too much.
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

27-11-2016, 01:11 PM

I wonder why wind generated electricity is not mentioned? Those huge turbines would be pretty easily re used for local supply one would think?

These survivalist scenarios always amuse me..why the heck wouldn't you wake up..take one look around and find a large bottle of something nice,a good book, a length of hose and car with fuel in it
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Actually, no, it won't happen, well certainly not in the way the article proposes.

If we were 100 years in the past then yes perhaps but today, no not a chance.

Why?

Because for many years now the powerful elite with all their wealth and resources have long since built MASSIVE complexes underground that go down for many miles.

We are not talking mine shafts here where people would be stooped over. We are talking tunnels high enough and wide enough for articulated lorries to turn around in.

In these complexes you can be sure that they have masses of equipment, machines, vehicles, diggers, farming/agricultural vehicles plus of course countless numbers of military vehicles both land and air.

Their technology is already way advanced of what is released to the general population. They will have energy sources that will keep them supplied indefinitely, much of it likely based on Tesla's work.

And of course, they will have plenty of military weapons, ammunition and medical supplies.

So when this apocalypse happens, these privileged few will be safe and snug in their underground cities waiting for the time to emerge.

I will also say this. I don't think any apocalypse will be accidental or natural, save that an asteroid hits the planet. Any zombie apocalypse virus will be man made and likely designed to reduce population numbers. It's also plainly clear to see how the Western population, both young and old has been brutally and purposefully dumbed down in the last 10-20 years. If we went back to the WW2 generation I would hazard a guess that some 95% of women would know how to make a good loaf of bread and would do so regularly. I guess also that over 50% of men could have done the same.

Today after brainwashing the population with X-factor, soaps and other moronic diversions, I would be surprised if more than 35% of women could make a loaf and more than 10% of men. It's sad to see how the Western populous has been driven so far from Nature.

Anyway, the point I make is that no apocalypse will occur as the article suggests. After the initial population cull, the elite will emerge with their stored technology, vehicles, food, medicines and military power and quickly resume control. They have all the seeds for plants and flowers stored up and will set agriculture off again (though of course they won't be getting their own hands dirty doing that).

For everyone else, yes for a period we will have to fend for ourselves but it won't be for years and years. Only whilst the initial turmoil is over and the military move back in to take easy control.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top