Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:25 PM

Re: do you need an expensive DSLR camera ?

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Auto is damned cleaver. Give it a frame to fill and it will 9 times out of 10 throw up the best solution and result the camera is technically capable of.

But this can be uninspiring.

The camera's in-built computer assumes you are happy with the mediocre. But if you want to go beyond that in the name of creativity, then you can.
Very true on both points and as RS said, you can get good results on a lower end DSLR. In fact, you can get good results on most cameras nowadays, but for me, I like to be in control of my camera and tell it what to do, not the other way round.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I specify DSLR cameras in the heading Not compact or anything else
I suppose the answer has to be just 'No' then.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am useless at photography.

I am happy with my point and shoot, albeit expensive, camera.
I am not good at photography either. My camera is fine for me, but I am thinking of up grading it to the next one up.

Originally Posted by mart ->
My camera isn't a DSLR but a Canon SX260 compact camera.

I reckon it takes a presentable photo most of the time. Maybe sometimes not as good as an expensive DSLR camera but it has the advantages of being easy to carry in the palm of the hand and quick to use.
I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ60, I leave it on AI most of the time. Mine is small enough to carry too.

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I went on a college course, we had a guy teaching us for a day who was a professional, he photographed royalty and other famous folk. He said he took just as good photos with a cheap compact camera as he did with his most expensive gear.

My camera is a cheap bridge one, the only thing I find is that photos are a bit light and need editing, apart from that I find it ok.
I don't understand all the fiddly bits (iso etc.)even though I went to courses.

I can't doing with the stress of it all, just point and shoot and fiddle afterwards.
Point & shoot is what I do too, have tried using other settings but really don't understand how to use them.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am not good at photography either. My camera is fine for me, but I am thinking of up grading it to the next one up.

I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ60, I leave it on AI most of the time. Mine is small enough to carry too.

Point & shoot is what I do too, have tried using other settings but really don't understand how to use them.
Have a look here - all free and a great English photographer / teacher.
https://www.photographycourses.biz/videos
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 11:49 PM

Thanks Gasman.
But I should have read earlier posts as RS not happy, so I'll bow out too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I’m out then.
Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Me too!
And me!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Have a look here - all free and a great English photographer / teacher.
https://www.photographycourses.biz/videos
Thanks, Gasman, will go and look.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Well it was on your recommendation (RS) that I went and bought my Canon SX 60S a few years ago.
I love it. I have fiddled with the bits, but like others have said I find set to auto and it does the job for me.
I do play with the other bits sometimes, just making minor adjustments when needed.
But like the whole worlds population, it is so easy to ‘snap’ with my iPhone.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I specify DSLR cameras in the heading Not compact or anything else
I suppose, from previous answers, that if the question is "Do you need an expensive DSLR camera?", the answer is a resounding "no"!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I suppose, from previous answers, that if the question is "Do you need an expensive DSLR camera?", the answer is a resounding "no"!
I'm not sure I consider 500 quid cheap though tbh.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top