Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 07:50 PM

strawberries

Our other strawberries we old plants and did nothing hardly last year in the garden. So this year it was a trip to the garden centre to get a couple of toughs and new strawberry plants for them

So far we have had two unbelievable tasting berries with more to come. Nothing like these spanish imports which have no taste

This is what we are now growing them in
They are sending out "runners " which are now it small pots to bring on

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Re: strawberries

I'm surprised they are sending out runners this early RS?

I don't root mine till nearer the end of the season personally, because I prefer to let them put their energy into providing fruits first.

Some say don't even let them fruit if they are first year plants, and to pinch out the blossom to stop them. They say to let the plants grow and develop more first.

One of my dogs is a strawberry thief. Little tyke nicks all the red ones if I'm not careful.
I even caught her tunneling under the netting to get them last year!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:38 PM

Naughty Nellie!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:40 PM

Good idea growing your own. The ones in the shops don't seem that nice this year, not even the English or Scottish ones.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Naughty Nellie!

Spot on, Tabs.
That's the culprit.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-06-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Good idea growing your own. The ones in the shops don't seem that nice this year, not even the English or Scottish ones.

I agree, Dongle.
I never buy imported strawberries, but I did try some English ones last week, and they were awful.
They had white centres which were rock hard and crunchy.

One would think they weren't ripe enough, yet they only had a day or two left before the use by date.

I have netted mine in tonight to keep my Nellie and the birds off them, and will wait for my own. Those bought ones were a total waste of money.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 08:22 AM

English strawberries at the market yesterday,on the small side,but with the rains we've just had they'll swell now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Yours are early Bazza I have got lots of strawberries coming they just need a bit of sun and a feed.

I grow a perpetual variety, Mara de Bois which fruits from June to October and is a cross with woodland alpine varieties so has an intense flavour.

I bought some locally grown ones the other day and they have started picking at the local pick your own but none taste like those from your own garden.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 09:43 AM

I’ve put the two plants into tomato planters on my raised bed. The thing that has a hole in the middle and you pour water into the outer reservoir. I thought it would keep the fruits off the ground. Will net them when they start to form.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top