Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Is the English Channel saltwater & how deep is it?

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Re: Is the English Channel saltwater & how deep is it?

It's salt water and I don't know how deep it is but you can't stand up in it !
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
But you can swim it, well a few hardy souls have done, it's about 20 miles across at the narrowest point, and the trains take 35 minutes to cross under it, boats about three to four hours depending on the weather.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
That had me laughing Alan
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
But you can swim it, well a few hardy souls have done, it's about 20 miles across at the narrowest point, and the trains take 35 minutes to cross under it, boats about three to four hours depending on the weather.
Thanks Losos. It's incredible there's a train run built underneath. Stuff like that gives me the creeps. I used to swim like a fish in lakes but now when I see deep water I get the willies. Don't think I could travel on that train.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 01:43 AM

Just Google the question. The answer is here on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Channel
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

17-05-2014, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
Just Google the question. The answer is here on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Channel
Yes this information has already occurred to me. Why the new thread topic included 'questions', I don't know. Gee, I thought it was a good idea Azz came up with but hey, why talk to people on a forum when Google is there instead?Really sorry i took up everyone's time with my inane questions.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
The ferries take so long because they can't go straight across.

I lived in Folkestone for many years in the days when it was a port and whereas you could see France from the top of the cliffs the boats had to make a large detour to avoid many massive sandbanks in the middle of the channel (Goodwin Sands are one that comes to mind but that might be the wrong one(s)- it was a long time ago I lived there)

The local outdoor pool was named after Sam Rockett who swam the channel at his first attempt in the 1950s.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 04:27 AM

Thanks Losos. It's incredible there's a train run built underneath. Stuff like that gives me the creeps. I used to swim like a fish in lakes but now when I see deep water I get the willies. Don't think I could travel on that train.
I have a mug made from clay excavated during the building of the channel tunnel (my old man was a local and county councillor at the time)

There was also the remains of a tunnel commenced during Victorian times but abandoned.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 12:22 PM

Don't think I could travel on that train.
I use it six to eight times a year and wouldn't use anything else now, it's so quick, quiet, and easy to drive on and off, you would never know you were under the sea

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top