Join for free
Page 19 of 26 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:13 AM

Re: Boris Johnson resigns.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree.

I can only assume it was some sort of demand by the Europeans. Our old system was far more logical.
Hi

You would assume wrongly.

It is an International Standard, the member countries are listed here.

http://www.iec.ch/dyn/www/f?p=103:5:0##ref=menu

International Standards are designed to simplify and promote trade, not to adopt them makes life more difficult for our Exporters.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree.

I can only assume it was some sort of demand by the Europeans. Our old system was far more logical.
What nonsense! it is an International standard, even Australia adopted it and certainly not under any pressure from the EU.

I can't understand what is so hard about it - Brown is just a desaturated Red how difficult is that to remember by someone used to the UK system?

The old system of red, black and green wasn't universal and was a danger for colour blind people. I believe Canada and the USA still have neutral colour coded as White and live could be either Black or Red.

A lot of Chinese equipment is still colour coded this way IE Black - Live, White - Neutral, Bare or Green - Earth.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Let's bring back imperial measurements, feet and inches, it was good enough for my grandfathers it's good enough for me.

Green for earth ? Red for live ? Sod that...............who do those dictators think they are ?

Fire proof furniture is for pansy continental surrender monkies.

Metric threads, probable a kraut car manufacturer's scheme for world domination......they tried it before you know ?

I am being silly ?.................You started it.

On the flip side we have to put up with a raft of the most asinine EU regulations.

Cucumbers and bananas must not have a bend gradient of more than 1/10 !

The EU crackpots state that water does not prevent dehydration. They passed a law in 2011 which prevented bottled water manufactures from labelling their product with anything which would suggest the item prevented dehydration. What a bunch of toss pots!

In 2014 the EU banned vacuum cleaners with motors above 1600 watts in a bid to reduce energy consumption. What was particularly barmy about this piece of legislation is that the fact that using a lower powered vacuum cleaner means you have to use it for longer to achieve the same result.
Sir James Dyson allegedly said the efficiency rules were skewed to favour German vacuums over his products.

The EU megalomaniacs plan to crack down on high power kettles, toasters and hair-dryers too. UKIP MEP David Coburn slammed the plans after claiming an EU approved toaster took four attempts to brown his bread

EU rules mean that “children under eight cannot blow up balloons”, specifically children under eight should not blow up latex balloons without adult supervision.

Widely unpopular EU regulations have restricted the sale of incandescent light bulbs because they were seen as not energy efficient enough.

Under EU law, local authorities are allowed to implement a ban on the composting of teabags !

In 2010, a directive was made relating to fruit jams, jellies and marmalades and sweetened chestnut puree intended for human consumption. The rules stated that a preserve must contain at least 60 per cent sugar to be called a jam. Nice one there for the sugar conglomerates !

The EU reportedly made it illegal for prunes to be marketed as a food that helps bowel movements. After investigating the EU crackpots concluded:

"The evidence provided is insufficient to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars (Prunus domestica L.) and maintenance of normal bowel function"

What a bunch of utter cretins !

In 2011, legislation was passed which ruled that insurance companies could not charge female drivers lower premiums than their male counterparts DESPITE it being proven that women drivers are less likely to be involved in a traffic accident than men. Gotta love those sexual discrimination laws ladies !

and so it goes on. One could post pages of this EU stupidity.

If laws against bendy bananas seems somewhat facile to people then consider the more serious and far impacting regulations like the EU Water Framework Directive.

For 100s and 100s of years farmers and other people happily managed the rivers and waterways, dredging and clearly the river beds from silt and gravel to prevent build-ups.

Once the EU WFD was imposed they were no longer allowed to do this. They were forced to leave rivers to Nature, untouched.

Result, we now have mass flooding all across the country as rivers and waterways break their banks constantly. The impact is huge and devastating for those people whose homes are subsequently flooded and which as a result can not be sold or have lost a ton of value.

The WFD doesn't cause the rain of course but it most certainly contributes to the problems of flooding.

We DO NOT need the EU to tell us how to live, how to manage our affairs. We are quite capable as a nation of sorting our affairs out without the incessant and nonsensical intervention of 26 other member countries and the corrupt EU masters.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Boris and bent bananas...spot the connection!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:26 AM

hear hear hear!!! - applause !!- some of the British still have a backbone!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
On the flip side we have to put up with a raft of the most asinine EU regulations.

Cucumbers and bananas must not have a bend gradient of more than 1/10 !

The EU crackpots state that water does not prevent dehydration. They passed a law in 2011 which prevented bottled water manufactures from labelling their product with anything which would suggest the item prevented dehydration. What a bunch of toss pots!

In 2014 the EU banned vacuum cleaners with motors above 1600 watts in a bid to reduce energy consumption. What was particularly barmy about this piece of legislation is that the fact that using a lower powered vacuum cleaner means you have to use it for longer to achieve the same result.
Sir James Dyson allegedly said the efficiency rules were skewed to favour German vacuums over his products.

The EU megalomaniacs plan to crack down on high power kettles, toasters and hair-dryers too. UKIP MEP David Coburn slammed the plans after claiming an EU approved toaster took four attempts to brown his bread

EU rules mean that “children under eight cannot blow up balloons”, specifically children under eight should not blow up latex balloons without adult supervision.

Widely unpopular EU regulations have restricted the sale of incandescent light bulbs because they were seen as not energy efficient enough.

Under EU law, local authorities are allowed to implement a ban on the composting of teabags !

In 2010, a directive was made relating to fruit jams, jellies and marmalades and sweetened chestnut puree intended for human consumption. The rules stated that a preserve must contain at least 60 per cent sugar to be called a jam. Nice one there for the sugar conglomerates !

The EU reportedly made it illegal for prunes to be marketed as a food that helps bowel movements. After investigating the EU crackpots concluded:

"The evidence provided is insufficient to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars (Prunus domestica L.) and maintenance of normal bowel function"

What a bunch of utter cretins !

In 2011, legislation was passed which ruled that insurance companies could not charge female drivers lower premiums than their male counterparts DESPITE it being proven that women drivers are less likely to be involved in a traffic accident than men. Gotta love those sexual discrimination laws ladies !

and so it goes on. One could post pages of this EU stupidity.

If laws against bendy bananas seems somewhat facile to people then consider the more serious and far impacting regulations like the EU Water Framework Directive.

For 100s and 100s of years farmers and other people happily managed the rivers and waterways, dredging and clearly the river beds from silt and gravel to prevent build-ups.

Once the EU WFD was imposed they were no longer allowed to do this. They were forced to leave rivers to Nature, untouched.

Result, we now have mass flooding all across the country as rivers and waterways break their banks constantly. The impact is huge and devastating for those people whose homes are subsequently flooded and which as a result can not be sold or have lost a ton of value.

The WFD doesn't cause the rain of course but it most certainly contributes to the problems of flooding.

We DO NOT need the EU to tell us how to live, how to manage our affairs. We are quite capable as a nation of sorting our affairs out without the incessant and nonsensical intervention of 26 other member countries and the corrupt EU masters.
Well said. Some excellent examples of EU bureaucratic nonsense, although I have the distinct feeling that a couple of gentlemen on here will assure us that Australia and half of the world have also adopted these rules!

A further example, if I may, is the infamous EU 'toilet flush' rule. Flushes are now limited in quantity in order 'to save water'. Consequently, people are obliged to flush twice in order to 'achieve the objective'. I usually have to anyway, and I can't imagine that my output is much above average!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:40 AM

So are You saying Brexit was a complete and utter waste of time and nowt's going to change?....I'm wondering just how much money this has cost so far if THAT'S the case!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:54 AM

Toilet flush?
What on earth has saving water got to do with the EU???

Just remember...
If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown flush it down.

That little rhyme is decidedly English!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by May ->
So are You saying Brexit was a complete and utter waste of time and nowt's going to change?....I'm wondering just how much money this has cost so far if THAT'S the case!
It doesn't matter to the ruling masters. No financial bill is too big if the result is that the illusion of democracy is maintained and their totalitarian control is preserved.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 11:09 AM

exactly realist - you're spot on there buddy - but how about Boris for PM - I think he would do good - bit like a UK Trump heh?

Page 19 of 26 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top