Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2013, 02:08 PM

Re: Genealogy Corner

Yes it can take over your life... especially those elusive ancestors who you know existed but hide in mistranscriptions or lie about age, marital status etc. For my sins I've taken on my Irish husbands family tree .... talk about having your patience and perseverance tested!
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 05:57 PM

moiramary...how are you getting on with the Irish records....i can't get very far with mine
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 11:10 PM

I've done a lot of research on my family history, I found out lots from the old newspapers ,I'm on find my past , and the stories in the paper are real eye openers ??I hope to file it all for future generations...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
hope he wasn't married first time in Ireland.....most of their records were lost....
I think I should pass on to those of you who wish to trace Irish records, you may be taking on a tough job, I don't know a lot about it but my youngest brother got involved in tracing the family history then it came to a full stop, most of the records were kept in the four courts buildings in Dublin and they were shelled in the civil war in the 1920's. Parish records and the census helped him but an awful lot of info was lost in the four courts fires that followed the shelling, so be warned not to expect favourable results.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Irish records ????? sheeeeesh

John Flynn, born in ..... wait for it ..... IRELAND

Yayyyyyyyy .... gonna get a long way with that eh Lol

The other lot have the surname Connor .... yeah right .... pmsl
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Joy, could you please check out that lady on her death please? Phebe. Are you able to view her death certificate to see her maiden name at all?

Many thanks.
Janet
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Joy, could you please check out that lady on her death please? Phebe. Are you able to view her death certificate to see her maiden name at all?

Many thanks.
Janet

I will take a look but you would have to send for the certificate to view her maiden name.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 05:33 PM

OK Joy, I will do that. Many thanks.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Just found you, Better late than never laugh.
I love talking about Ancestry. Done it for over 6 years now.
Started with a name which was my gGrandma Elizabeth and
now have discovered over a thousand ancestors, one of my families
going back to 1473. It is hard work and can be daunting but just as
its been mentioned, you just think I will give up now and you
find something else or what you are looking for.
I have subscriptions to a few sites but because I don't seem to
help others a lot now and I have found enough of my own,
I am giving up Ancestry when it lapses in February. As mentioned
you can get information at the Library.
If you are stuck on something you can go on Rootschat and there
are lots of people on there who will guide you. I used to do that
but not as much, it can be time consuming.
If you are stuck on old information then let me know. Army records
are on Genes and Ancestry now also the trouble with information after
1911 census can be difficult to find if its a child. They do have
voters information but not if you were a child of course.
Under 21s didn't get a lot of mention in those days.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

25-10-2013, 08:11 PM

For the benefit of others (Joy already knows), today I gave in and paid for a 6 months subscription. I'd gone to my library this morning, and had an hour on the computer (on Ancestry), then when I got home decided to go for it. Spent so long on it this afternoon that I had to go out for a takeaway supper of fish and chips just after 6. Bonus being I have enough chips to last beyond the weekend!

As my sister agreed, this can be my project for the winter months, now I can do it in the comfort of my own home. I only got the basic but wonder if I can discover more when I have library access.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top