Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 05:57 PM

Re: Is there a book that changed your Life

The Decisive Moment by Henri Cartier-Bresson

Published the year I was born ('52), but I didn't see it until I was about ten. Both my parent weren't artistic (total philistines) but my uncle was, and I used to like to look at this when at his house, and he was delighted I liked it. This is a book of pictures but pictures like I'd never seen before, of people totally foreign to me.

Here's a look inside
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by PinkSapphire ->
The book that changed my life came along when I was a child of ten. At that time there were really no usable computers, we had no technology in our schools for blind children, and I read everything in braille. I read braille when I had to, but I did not like to read. I was not what you would call proficient, books did not give me any pleasure. And then we heard on the radio a dramatized adaptation of Watership Down by Richard Adams. My imagination was fired by this story, I dashed to my school library at lunch hour and demanded it from the librarian. He did not want to let me have it, telling me it was in six bulky volumes, and anywayit was too old for me and I would never finish it. I was equally firm that I would.

That night I plunged into the story. Suddenly reading became more than a chore, something you had to do to swat for school. It became a pleasure, an escape into a different world. You could go somewhere else and close the door of reality behind you. Soon my fingers could fly over the pages and I became one of the fastest readers in the school. I've never stopped loving the book that opened the magic door to me. I have a copy of it on every reading device I own. Luckily the six volumes of braille are no longer necessary, and each night before I sleep, a quiet voice reads it to me, I slip away to that green place and close the door to reality behind me for a while.

And that’s how books hit me

There’s not one that really stands out as a life changer but actually getting a book that made me want to keep turning the pages has made me a life long reader
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 07:27 PM

The book that changed my life a long time ago was a book about anxiety called Self Help For Your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes. I've suffered with my nerves and anxiety all my adult life and I battle with it on a daily basis. When I read that book I swore that lady was talking about me, she described my symptoms and how I feel during panic attacks to a tee. The book helped me understand what was happening to my body. I still struggle but I don't fear the anxiety as much as I did because I know now that I am not going to die during an anxiety attack after all. The book taught me how to deal with my anxiety.
Jaybay
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
Jaybay is female 

05-09-2018, 03:15 PM

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, I bought it in the mid 90s and have used it ever since. Introduced a few people to it and try to live by the habits. I really believe that this helped me to be a good leader at work and care about those that I worked with and also be a good mother and wife. I don't always get it right but I know that I always do my best and I believe this book helped me to be a better person.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 01:31 PM

Honest answer to the Question

NO
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 07:11 AM

The local A to Z, it opened up a whole new world (and still does).
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Tibetan book of the Dead - brings you down to earth then lifts you up where you belong!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 06:58 PM

Probaby Black Beauty .
It engendered in me a life long love of horses .
Two other books I have made me love wild places.

Far away and long ago by W H Hudson ( a childhood in Argentina)
Hell West and crooked by Tom Cole a young man's life in the Northern Territories ,Australia .
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:45 AM

can we start again??

Mahjong for beginners by Frank Mah and Albert Jong - gave me a life long love of gambling the way the chinese do - noisy - 'the twittering of the sparrows"

how did it change my life - I won a fortune within the first year and have never looked back and it gave me an everlasting love of the Chinese!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Wuthering Heights..I read it as a teenager and it had a real impact on me...I have been fascinated by the Brontes ever since.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top