Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 04:29 PM

Re: Wuthering Heights

I have read it many times with no problems.But just because a book is considered a classic it does not mean everyone will find it enjoyable or to their taste.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Thanks for all your comments and thanks Cinderella for the link. I will have a read of the website then start again from the beginning, it might make more sense to me.

It's not that Romantic novels do not appeal to me because I quite like romantic films.

Maybe I need to read a lot in one session rather than a couple of chapters every night.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Over the past few years, I have been making the effort to read some of the classics. I have now started reading Wuthering Heights and I have to admit I am struggling. I am about five chapters in at the moment and have no clue what it is about.

Who is the protagonist? It seems to change constantly and there is a lot of 'He said, she said' making it confusing and a lot of sentences that don't make sense.

Mrs LD says it's one of her favourite books and that she read it many times when she was a teenager - I don't know how she did it tbh.

I have read other classics by Tolstoy. Dostoevsky, Chekov, Cervantes etc and had no problem although I realise they were translated into English.

So is Wuthering Heights really the masterpiece that people claim it to be? If I had written that when I was at school. I reckon my English teacher would have told me to do better.

I really would like to finish this book so can anyone give any tips on how to read and understand it?
I couldn't get into the book either & the stage version with Cliff Richard in it was bad too. I gave up on both.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 09:01 PM

Withering Heights is a story about obsession .
It's enthralling .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2016, 10:05 AM

I read the notes on the website and started again and this time I have understood it (so far). I think maybe I was trying to read it when I was too tired so didn't take it in. I shall keep going.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Gosh longdogs don't give up on it. It's my favourite book of all time, I cried rivers over that book when I was younger. I remember limiting myself at bedtime to just a few pages.. It was just so emotional

Good luck
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-11-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Gosh longdogs don't give up on it. It's my favourite book of all time, I cried rivers over that book when I was younger. I remember limiting myself at bedtime to just a few pages.. It was just so emotional

Good luck
No, I'm not going to give up just yet summer. I managed to get through War & Peace ok although I admit I watched the TV series first so I had a picture of the characters in my mind which helped with all the Russian names.

The last book I read was Metamorphosis which was in fairly plain English so I think the transition into Victorian English made it difficult.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:17 PM

We're all different and can no more all like the same books than we can like the same music. One of my best friends thinks Jane Austen is a literary genius whereas I think she is a second/third rate version of the appalling Barbara Cartland with no literary merit whatever. Takes all kinds!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-11-2016, 10:31 AM

I am getting through it now but I wonder why any author would have two characters with the same name; Catherine & Cathy?
bridget
melbourne, australia
bridget is female 

30-11-2016, 11:53 PM

I think one has to have a taste for the Gothic novel.
WH is a great book but if one is not into the supernatural atmospheric It may be a hard read.

I think this book is largely to blame for women addiction to "Bad Boys"

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top