Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Pond help ....

It's nearly dried up. So much so, I had to hose some tap water in (again).
Hope it won't kill off all the insect swimmies and newts.

What's everyone doing about theirs?

(Mine doesn't have pumps, fountains or gizmos. Just a pond, no fish - only plants, insects/ newts etc)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Re: Pond help ....

I've just topped mine up, just in case of hosepipe bans.

No fish now, but there are several frogs and, of course, plants.

I don't think they are bothered about tap water, although ours here is quite soft.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
It's nearly dried up. So much so, I had to hose some tap water in (again).
Hope it won't kill off all the insect swimmies and newts.

What's everyone doing about theirs?

(Mine doesn't have pumps, fountains or gizmos. Just a pond, no fish - only plants, insects/ newts etc)
Seeing as you don't have any fish, I would think rain water would be best for topping up because it doesn't have chlorine in it, although, tap water left in a barrel for a few days will lose the chlorine. I don't suppose you have any rain water though.

At the moment, I am topping up my pond every day and the fish can take that ok but if I had to replace a lot of water, I would add water conditioner available from aquatic centres.

Obviously in an emergency, you have to do what's necessary.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've just topped mine up, just in case of hosepipe bans.

No fish now, but there are several frogs and, of course, plants.

I don't think they are bothered about tap water, although ours here is quite soft.

Oh good, thank gawd for that! Yes, soft water here too.

Sounds like you put quite a lot in, so I think tomorrow I'll really fill it up loads. It's about 8in down. Even some of the marginal plants are out of water. And, the one lily has burnt - dead as a dodo.

I usually have bags of frogs but I've not seen any this last week. Maybe they've hopped over to yours

Thanks JB
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 10:11 PM

if you have to use tap water, put the sprinkler head on the hose and hold it up high to fill, the chlorine evaperates a bit
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
if you have to use tap water, put the sprinkler head on the hose and hold it up high to fill, the chlorine evaperates a bit
Yes, that's good advice.

Alternatively, you could get a pump and filter and pipe the water back into the pond via a fountain. Many filters also include a UV lamp to kill bugs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Seeing as you don't have any fish, I would think rain water would be best for topping up because it doesn't have chlorine in it, although, tap water left in a barrel for a few days will lose the chlorine. I don't suppose you have any rain water though.

At the moment, I am topping up my pond every day and the fish can take that ok but if I had to replace a lot of water, I would add water conditioner available from aquatic centres.

Obviously in an emergency, you have to do what's necessary.

I think this is the best idea.

Keep topping it up little and often rather than let it get low then have to put loads in all in one go.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 08:33 PM

Last week I had a bit of an emergency. I came out to find the pond had gone down by about a third. That's probably about 700 Ltrs. I had no choice but to fill it up to protect the plants from the sun. I then went and bought some water conditioner and added it and the fish seem to have survived OK so far.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2018, 08:49 PM

We have a rainwater butt which is still full despite the drought.

I daren't use it for the pond, though, as it could well have legionella and, whereas that is unlikely to damage the pond plants, I'm not sure what it would do to the frogs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-07-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We have a rainwater butt which is still full despite the drought.

I daren't use it for the pond, though, as it could well have legionella and, whereas that is unlikely to damage the pond plants, I'm not sure what it would do to the frogs.
Mmm not sure. Perhaps Nom could help there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top