Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Re: New Challenge - Ruins or Abandoned Buildings

These are ruins only loosely speaking because they haven't fallen into disuse in their original location. They are columns and other bits an pieces brought to England from a Roman town/city called 'Leptis Magna' in Libya. They are now situated at Virginia Water (Surrey), which is part of Windsor Great Park.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 06:14 PM

Perhaps I'm weird but I think ruins have a sort of atmosphere about them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 09:17 PM

There are some great photos of ruins in this thread .... good choice, Tess
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Perhaps I'm weird but I think ruins have a sort of atmosphere about them.
Oh yes, I should say they have atmospheres. And I know I'm weird anyway.

There used to be an old hospital where I used to live, very, very eerie and huge. Lots of outbuildings and ruins to explore. Loved having sneaky shufties round it inside - 'feeling' it and smelling the smells.
Huge grounds to explore too.

Sadly, it was demolished many years ago.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 02:25 PM

This is Bodie Ghost Town, California USA

In 1859 William (a.k.a. Waterman) S. Bodey discovered gold near what is now called Bodie Bluff. A mill was established in 1861 and the town began to grow. It started with about 20 miners and grew to an estimated 10,000 people by 1880! By then, the town of Bodie bustled with families, robbers, miners, store owners, gunfighters, prostitutes and people from every country in the world. At one time there was reported to be 65 saloons in town. Among the saloons were numerous brothels and houses of ill repute, gambling halls and opium dens, an entertainment outlet for everyone.
After the Gold Rush declined the town gradually declined and in 1910, the population was recorded at 698 people, which were predominantly families that decided to stay in Bodie instead of moving on to other prosperous strikes. The first signs of an official decline occurred in 1912 with the printing of the last Bodie newspaper. In 1917, the Bodie Railway was abandoned and its iron tracks were scrapped. The last mine closed in 1942.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Wow! Amazing place.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Lovely pics, one and all. I especially like the Pill Box, and the ghost town.

Saint Peter's Church, Castle Green Bristol. The park this stands in was originally the main business and shopping centre of the city until it was flattened by raids during WW2.

The ground was cleared post war and whole green was created as a memorial park. The church itself was stabilised and left as a war memorial. Many people walk by without taking much notice, but if you are in the city it's worth a gander and a wander through the park or along the riverside next to it.

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:36 AM

This is an odd one. Raising the flag over Iwo Jima, Washington DC.

It's a monument to a photograph of a reproduction of an event.

The photograph that this memorial is based on was actually of the second flag-raising in which a larger replacement flag was raised by Marines who did not raise the first flag.

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Love the pictures of the Ghost Town DWebb, including the write up.

Are people allowed to roam around the buildings on their own? I'd love to have a root around everywhere in the buildings, in the cupboards and have a look in the cab of the truck.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Wow! Amazing place.
It was certainly interesting Tiffany

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Love the pictures of the Ghost Town DWebb, including the write up.

Are people allowed to roam around the buildings on their own? I'd love to have a root around everywhere in the buildings, in the cupboards and have a look in the cab of the truck.
Thanks Pesta Yes you can roam around the town on your own, Some of the buildings are open like the shop and church so you can wander inside those, others like the school and hotel which are shown in the photos you have to look at through windows, there are a few staff there as it’s designated a National state park. I seem to remember paying a fee at the entry gate. It is a bit out of the way though, west of Yosemite, on a turn off just North of Mono Lake from the I395, turn off is near Dog town, well worth a visit if in the area though. I managed to take the writing turn off which meant quite a few miles of unsealed road
I have drove past it before as only became aware of it after seeing it on a Ray Mears TV program.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top