Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 12:40 PM

no good tradesmen any more

Let me explain

Our conservatory was rebuilt from the dwarf wall up using UPVC material and new guttering.

Well on one corner of the guttering it started to drip, (only installed 2/3yrs ago).
So up I go and have a look, what idiots!!!!! the long gutter length was cut too short, not enough.
to go over one of the angle bracket rubber seals on one end. All they did was butt it up to the rubber seal not over it or even anywhere near the internal angle bracket stop bar inside.
I have just manage to move the long length (on right) enough to go over that seal so hopefully it is job done.

Wht can't they do a job properly any more, call themselves tradesmen???? that is a joke
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 12:43 PM

Re: no good tradesmen any more

A lot of todays Tradesmen seem to belong to the Slap Dash Club..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Roxy

The problem is the apprenticeship are far too short or even just down to 6 months training. When I did mine it was a 5 year one which should be bought back. One cannot learn any trade properly in 6 months or even a year. Mine was on site training -plus day release and 2 night classes as well
Often left home at 6 am andwith night school back at 10pm, all at a very young age from 15 years old until 20 years old
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

21-07-2018, 12:50 PM

One of the reasons we do most jobs ourselves including erecting a conservatory at last house.

On the odd occasion we do get tradesmen in we always ask around for recommendations, ask to see some of their work and my husband goes over it with a fine tooth comb once the work is completed.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Panda

I do most of my own work but rebuilding a conservatory is not one of them.

Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 12:54 PM

There are many excellent trades people around.
Perhaps if people weren't so obsessed with getting the cheapest possible quote they may get better results.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-07-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
There are many excellent trades people around.
Perhaps if people weren't so obsessed with getting the cheapest possible quote they may get better results.
This was not cheap at £15,000 not even having to do foundations or a dwarf wall
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Let me explain

Our conservatory was rebuilt from the dwarf wall up using UPVC material and new guttering.

Well on one corner of the guttering it started to drip, (only installed 2/3yrs ago).
So up I go and have a look, what idiots!!!!! the long gutter length was cut too short, not enough.
to go over one of the angle bracket rubber seals on one end. All they did was butt it up to the rubber seal not over it or even anywhere near the internal angle bracket stop bar inside.
I have just manage to move the long length (on right) enough to go over that seal so hopefully it is job done.

Wht can't they do a job properly any more, call themselves tradesmen???? that is a joke

Possibly the gutter had moved over time. (Settling?)

Especially as you were able to relocate the gutter and it only started dripping after 2-3 years.

ETA seeing the amount of glass and plastic involved and taking into account the recent hot weather surely some movement would be expected.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Possibly the gutter had moved over time. (Settling?)

Especially as you were able to relocate the gutter and it only started dripping after 2-3 years.
No reason why the length of guttering was almost at least an inch short to what it should have been. Just down to poor workmanship not measuring twice and cutting once. no movement to that extent even in this heat

If I had done something similar in my trade as an apprentice I would have got a sound clip around the ear.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Tregonsee
back when I did my apprenticeship (1960/65) you not only worked on your trade but if on a building site you were at the beck and call to all trades that needed a hand. It was a good founding in appreciation good workmanship of other trades as well, not the sloppy way things are done now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top