Join for free
Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Originally Posted by Barry ->
You really are missing something fabulous if you don't have meat pies Bakerman, it's surely what pastry was invented for. You've obviously never had a real cornish pasty which surely must be the finest pie ever created, so you are welcome to all of your sweet pies which no doubt are very nice, but for me it has to be savoury, and preferably meaty.
Had a Cornish pasty yesterday yummy !
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Yes please Bakerman I would like your recipe thanks!!
Ok, good. I'm busy right now. i'll post it soon.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->

Are lemon meringue and key lime technically pies?

Of course they are pies, technically or otherwise. But if you intend on giving me a hard time about it, I'll agree that they are soups or salads or canapes .
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 09:21 AM

I have a sweetie pie if that helps.
Cherry pie is my favourite.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Something lost in the language.

A pie.

A desert.

Are not the same.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and...eatest-debate/
Not sure about that Galty. There's an overlap.

There's a desert , a pudding called Summer Fruits where the outside shell is made from slices of bread so I'm thinking that might really be a really really massive fruity sandwich.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Not sure about that Galty. There's an overlap.

There's a desert , a pudding called Summer Fruits where the outside shell is made from slices of bread so I'm thinking that might really be a really really massive fruity sandwich.
Like this:

https://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe...r-Pudding.html

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 11:04 AM

Close! The one I'm thinking of the slices of bread are arranged vertically like a fence.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ok, good. I'm busy right now. i'll post it soon.
Thanks Bakerman no rush
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Close! The one I'm thinking of the slices of bread are arranged vertically like a fence.
Indeed, like this:

but then it's not like a sandwich ..... it's more like a cold pie (or pudding) .....
bakerman
Mexico

09-08-2018, 12:02 PM

AYSA, here is my recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie.

It is with some trepidation that I post it. I have a feeling somebody is going to give me a hard time and demand that I define exactly what a lemon is. I can just hear it now, "Mr Bakerman what citation do you have to prove that your so-called lemons are the real thing" It will be followed by an article from The Guardian claiming that real lemons, true lemons, are only grown in Cyprus or some such place. Thus, those yellow citrus fruits grown in America are not actually real lemons.

Sorry for the rant, Galty upset me to no end with his nonsense.

well here goes:

Follow directions for my blind baked single crust, pie crust (above)

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. (175 C.)

Make meringue 1st and set aside (not in refrigerator)

3 large egg whites, must be at room temp.
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 TBLSP of sugar
1/2 tsp of pure vanilla

***Ultra important*** All utensils must be squeeky clean.
The egg whites can not have even a hint of yolk.
The egg beaters must be squeeky clean. Never let your egg whites come in contact with any plastic. Especially not the folding spatula. ***

Put egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar and vanilla into a stainless steel, or large china bowl (never plastic).

Using an electric mixer, slowly build up speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

2 cups water
6 TBLSP of corn starch
1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (need to be ripe and soft)
1 cup + 1 TBLSP of sugar
4 large egg yolks
3 TBLSP of butter

combine, water, corn starch, lemon juice, sugar and butter in a medium pot. Heat, over med-low heat, stirring constantly, with a wire whip. until mixture becomes thickened and is slightly bubbling.

Have your yolks in a medium small bowl. Stirring constantly, add about 1/2 cup of the thickened corn starch mix. This will "temper" the yolks. Pour back into the corn starch mixture and slowly heat until it begins to boil slightly, cook 1 more minute.

Pour immediately hot filling into your pre-baked pie shell. level out.
Immediately add the meringue on top of the lemon filling. Pile high to the center. Ultra important: seal the meringue very well to the pie crust edges. This will prevent the meringue from shrinking during baking.

Bake for aprox for 11-13 minutes OR until meringue peaks are nicely, slightly browned.

Tips for a beautiful baked meringue. Just prior to baking, after you have piled your meringue high in the center, use the back of a dinner spoon to tap and lift up little peaks.(see photo)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	051116001-01-lemon-meringue-pie-recipe-main.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	6728  

Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top