Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 07:50 AM

Re: Last night of the proms

It happens to me Twink. No such thing as a stiff upper lip on certain occasions such as this.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
It happens to me Twink. No such thing as a stiff upper lip on certain occasions such as this.
Thank heavens for that! I thought it was just me because all the people in the Royal Albert Hall seemed so cheerful!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 09:49 AM

As always brilliant. Where else would you get a packed arena of happy people with no trouble spoiling the enjoyment

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 10:33 AM

I have downloaded from iplayer to watch tonight. Also downloaded Flavia & Vincent Tangoing.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Watched it, loved it.

I have my silly jacket and sparkly Union Jack bow tie.
When I saw the sparkly union jack bow ties some if the orchestra were wearing, I thought of you!!

If ever you're in London and get the chance to do the Tour of the R.A.H. it's well worth it, amazingly interesting and you learn so much.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
When I saw the sparkly union jack bow ties some if the orchestra were wearing, I thought of you!!

If ever you're in London and get the chance to do the Tour of the R.A.H. it's well worth it, amazingly interesting and you learn so much.
I had trouble just sitting in one of the boxes. It's a bit too high for my liking.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had trouble just sitting in one of the boxes. It's a bit too high for my liking.
A lot of people who buy tickets for Circle seats don't realise how high it is.
I went once with a friend and at the interval she felt quite unwell because if the height, and we asked the girl on the door if we could sit somewhere else. She was lovely, called someone on her phone and along he came with a fist full of returns!
We sat (at no extra cost) in seats alongside the choir, brilliant.

The girl told us of one woman who, when she saw how high it was as she went through the opening, almost fainted.
They literally had to peel her off the wall!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I only managed to see the last half hour, but as usual, the last few songs brought tears to my eyes.
It is a bit like watching a film that always makes you cry....you don't want to cry, but you refuse to miss the film. Does this happen to others?
Yes, it does engender a sense of pride in Britain.

The Britain of between, say, Elizabethan days and the 1950s, when we were an example to the world.

Somehow, I just don't seem able to feel the same pride today.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 01:22 PM

I watch TLNOTP every year and did last night burt I think that will be iut for the future. It is not the music, however predictable, that will always be worth listening to. It is the totally unspontaneous, same old, same old 'funny' antics by some of the promenaders. Ooh! Let's blow a hooter, that will be funny and original, won't it? Let's do this, do that, exactly as it is always done, everyone will laugh because they have been schooled to not because they still find it funny, surely???
I find it all so tiresome, predictable and along with the pseudopatriotic, manufactured fervour, recalling a past that never existed, I think I will give it a miss in future.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I watch TLNOTP every year and did last night burt I think that will be iut for the future. It is not the music, however predictable, that will always be worth listening to. It is the totally unspontaneous, same old, same old 'funny' antics by some of the promenaders. Ooh! Let's blow a hooter, that will be funny and original, won't it? Let's do this, do that, exactly as it is always done, everyone will laugh because they have been schooled to not because they still find it funny, surely???
I find it all so tiresome, predictable and along with the pseudopatriotic, manufactured fervour, recalling a past that never existed, I think I will give it a miss in future.
Erm. I think that's the whole idea of the last night. It's tradition and weirdly I still find it funny.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top