Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 12:12 AM

Recipes from the 'outback'

outbackrecipes
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 10:47 AM

Re: Recipes from the 'outback'

Hunter gatherers were experts at survival, the oldest know inhabitants in the UK date back 800,000 years when Britain was warmer, it fascinates me how we have developed through the centuries, its good to connect with cultures that retain older ways.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 06:04 PM

What??? - no Kangaroo or Wallaby recipes???, no koala steaks??? - bitterly disappointed!!!
CandyCrunch
USA
CandyCrunch is female  CandyCrunch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
outbackrecipes
Oh dear, I thought you meant

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 03:11 AM

The Aussie way...

Run 'em over and slap 'em on the barbie.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 06:45 AM

does that include tourists??
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Old-Fashioned Australian Cream Sponge

Hi everyone, As this is outback I thought I would share this lovely Aussie recipe with you.

This is one of my favourite sponge cakes to make, I’ve made it about 5 times now and it’s never failed, especially as it doesn’t require any Flour or Butter/Margarine at all! just good old Bird’s Custard Powder instead which gives it an extra lovely vanilla flavour.

The sponge is super light when baked and when filled with jam and fresh cream, I promise the second slice you cut after tasting the first, will be a larger one because it is so moist, fluffy and light, it really is gorgeous!

Here we go…………

Preheat your oven to 175C. (lower if using a convection oven)

I used 2 x 20cm (8in) cake tins.

INGREDIENTS.
(quick reminder: These are Australian cup measures, not American)

5 x large eggs
¾ cup (170g) caster sugar
½ cup (65g) custard powder
½ cup (65g) corn flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder.

METHOD
Separate the whites from the yolks, Set the yolks to one side.
Whisk the whites until soft peaks form, gradually add the caster sugar.
Add the yolks to the whisked whites, mixing until combined.
Take the bowl from the mixer and fold through the sieved dry ingredients.
Transfer to the 2 x buttered and floured tins.
Bake for between 20-25 minutes.

I hope you enjoy this lovely tasting sponge cake.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	australian sponge cake.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	7411  
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Was looking through my menu scrapbook for any more Australian recipes and could only find one more below. Very nice it was too and made a complete change to either apple pie or ordinary sponge cake. Hope you like it if you try it.

PRE-HEAT OVEN 200C (180C FAN)

GRAN'S AUSSIE APPLE TEA CAKE.
(using Australian Cup Measurements)

INGREDIENTS
2 cups (256g) self-raising flour
1 cup (211g) sugar (I used Granulated last time)
125g softened butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (8.80fl.oz) milk
3 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
½ cup granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top)
Cinnamon for dusting.

METHOD
In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar.

With mixer still running, add the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg is thoroughly combined before adding next one.

Add the vanilla and cinnamon, Now the flour, alternating with the milk until all fully combined.

Pour into your cake tin (I used a 20cm (8inch) cake tin). Smooth the top with a spatula.

Place the sliced apples, in a spiral pattern on top and then sprinkle the granulated sugar and shake some cinnamon over the top.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Name:	APPLE TEA CAKE.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	7412  
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-09-2018, 04:02 PM

AUSSIE SHEARER’S MINCE & POTATO HOT POT.

Okay, just one more! I couldn’t resist sharing a recipe I have just found online. I HAVE NEVER TRIED THE RECIPE, so will be as un-knowledgeable as you if and when we try it out.
Please would you let me know how it tastes if you cook it before me. I will do the same.
It does sound rather yum though.

This recipe is using raw, sliced potatoes. I personally would par-boil them from simmer for about 5 minutes to prevent the risk of still only ¾ cooked potatoes when cooking time finished. (it has happened more than once with me which was disappointing. so always parboil first). I then drain them and let them cool a little before laying them out separately on greaseproof paper ready to layer them later. Of course this is entirely up to you. You may prefer not to faff around with the tatties and put them in raw slices. NOT ME!

This meal serves 6 but you can always eat ½ and fridge the other ½ for two meals.

Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4.

INGREDIENTS
1kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g mince
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 x separate lots of 50g butter
4 tablespoons plain flour
475ml Milk
125g grated Cheddar cheese
175g tinned mushrooms, drained

METHOD
Wash, peel and thinly slice potatoes and gently parboil for 5 minutes from simmer.

Heat the oil in another medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the Mince, onion, tomato puree and Worcester Sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mince is evenly browned and the onions are tender.

In a separate medium saucepan over a medium heat, melt one of the 50g of butter and thoroughly blend in the flour. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce the heat and blend in the Cheddar cheese into the mixture.season with salt and pepper to taste.

Line a medium baking casserole type dish with ½ of the potato slices. Pour over the mince mixture and top with the mushrooms. Now cover with the cheese sauce mixture. Top with the remaining potato slices. Dot the top with the remaining 50g of butter.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned.

Crikey, I’m getting hungry just typing this. Off to play with the pups in the garden now.

Name:	shearer's 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	7413  
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
outbackrecipes
Passed on to my favourite cook.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top