Join for free
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:07 AM

Are you proud to be British?

I just read this article this morning and thought it might be interesting to hear people's comments.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...atriotism.html

Briefly, the article discusses why it seems that more people, especially the millennials, are no longer proud to be British.
Several reasons for this are given, and I'm sure that there will be mixed feelings about it on this forum.

I'll chuck in my four penn'orth in a bit, but I don't want to influence comments.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

No why should one be proud of being the nationality to which one belongs, I just don't get it?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:26 AM

I think many are only proud when we are winning at something!
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:35 AM

If it’s the xenophobic brigade like the Daily Mail, Express, Nigel Farage then no not really

But if it’s the Country that came up with the NHS, the Country that went through the Blitz and the Battle of Britain and saved the World from the Nazi’s then yes, the Country that thinks just about anything can be made better by a nice cuppa and is eternally optimistic about the weather then yes....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Im not allowed to be proud of Britain, apparently the snowflakes tell us we are responsible for all that ails the world.

I am to be assimilated.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:42 AM

I am English, hate being called British
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think many are only proud when we are winning at something!
I don't see why one should be proud of anything one hasn't actually achieved oneself.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Are youngsters even bothered about the idea of patriotism?
I never gave it a thought when young. Like I never dwelt on politics.
For me, at least, it was something that grew on me ..like old age even though my parents own sentiments probably rubbed off on me ... as in, we won the war ... we have traditions and the history of an Empire.

Based on that I'm assuming as the generations live and die they'll find increasingly less or predominantly our own culture that will qualify for the label 'Britishness' .
Looking back, will mean multiculturalism to them, especially for those not even born here.
The notion of true British, if there is such a term, probably began to slowly die after the 1950's.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:00 PM

Hi

I used to be, not so much now.

We are a laughing stock, primarily down to our Politicians.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I don't see why one should be proud of anything one hasn't actually achieved oneself.
Out of curiosity ... as you've never felt British ( and don't seem keen on them) ... is that because you're really a Channel Islander by birth and by nurture?

Or .. would you say, having once left your 'home island', as I've often heard you call it that .... do you end up with a rootless kind of 'home is where the heart' state of belonging?
In short, with little patriotism for anywhere.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top