Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Is Immigration A Class Issue?

Nigel Farage has stated that immigration is a class issue (video clip in link which explains his reasons) as immigration doesn't affect the well off in the way that it affects those on lower incomes.

I tend to agree with him and was disappointed that the producers went for a panel that formed a 3:1 with Farage sitting alone on this one.

Do you agree with him that it is a class thing?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/farag...125406455.html
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Re: Is Immigration A Class Issue?

Well I can only say from my experience the offices I clean there are two Indian office workers in technical department everyone else is English or Scottish, so 2/100 immigrants, whereas the cleaners I am the only English worker the other 10 are Polish/Nepalese/Pakistani or Indian, and the security staff all 12 of them are Pakistani.

So just taking this one building I would have to agree.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Interesting, never thought of it that way.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:32 PM

The Government are once again looking for 'scape goats' for their failed economic and social policies. A couple of years ago it was the lazy, work-shy unemployed who were to blame for the the ills of our economy, then it was the sick & disabled - there were too many of them 'skiving' on benefits when they weren't truly sick or disabled. Now its the turn of the Immigrants, coming over here taking our jobs and our housing.

In truth, the fault lies with the Government itself, it has failed to develop our economy to the extent that, notwithstanding the recent improvement in unemployed, there are still more unemployed now than when the Government came to power more than three years ago. They have also failed to build enough (or any???) social housing sufficient to cope with the needs of this country.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 01:45 PM

While I agree with everything you say Joe, it is also true that successive governments and their corporate masters have deliberately allowed mass immigration to ensure a ready supply of cheap labour. This has impacted clearly on the indigenous working class of these islands - in terms of lowering wages, shortage of housing and the resulting increases in rents and house prices, pressure on infrastructure (doctors, dentists, hospitals, schools). For the bosses, recent mass immigration has been a wonderful success. For the indigenous working class it has been and remains an unmitigated disaster.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 02:04 PM

I agree Mick.
As to not enough social housing - we had a letter through the door last week, asking if we would like to buy our council house at £100,000 less than the market price.
First, we don't live on a council estate, it is a private area, so why put it through the doors of houses in our street?
We sent it back to say, what a blooming cheek, there isn't enough social housing now, so why sell them off?
And whose idiotic idea was it to send them to private properties? Bit of an insult, when you've struggled to pay a mortgage for 25 years. I've heard people say, I've paid half already in rent ... well we all have to have somewhere to live, whether its' rent or mortgage, it is up to the person from the start.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Is it up to the person ? most people in social housing would love to own a home just can't afford to buy one. So not really a choice for them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Should never have sold off the housing stock we had .... certainly not without replacing it !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Should never have sold off the housing stock we had .... certainly not without replacing it !

Precisely!!! Patsy darlin' - and we all know who was responsible for that don't we??? (phth, phth,phth)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2013, 03:02 PM

YES - phth, phth !

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top