Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 09:31 PM

Re: Childrens Books:Do You Remember These?

Black Beauty Little Women and What Katie Did
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2016, 02:03 PM

Alan Garner's "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" and "The Moon of Gomrath" are impossible to beat, in my estimation.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Noddy, Rupert, Toby Twirl (handed down from my much older siblings) Enid Blyton, Charles Dickens (loved his books) The Water Babies, Grimms Fairy Tales and Hans Christian Anderson's.
Gill's Gymkhana, Anne McCaffery's dragon books, then all the spooky stuff by Dennis Wheatley!
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 06:59 PM

When I was very young I had lots of Enid Blyton books, Amelia Jane, Noddy, Bimbo and Topsy.... then the Mallory towers and St Clares series.
Also the Bancroft Classics books, like Little Women, Three Musketeers, Tom Sawyer etc.
One book that did make a lasting impression on me was an Enid Blyton book, The Land of far beyond. A simpler version of Pilgrim's Progress. My copy eventually fell apart. But I just bought a reprint edition recently, it is still an endearing story.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 08:22 PM

Biggles
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 10:15 PM

I too read Enid Blyton when I was a youngster. I liked her adventure books.
When I was older I loved the Bulldog Drummond books, and also books by John Buchan.
As an older teen I remember going through a phase of reading awful romance novels.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:11 PM

In the school holidays, l would spend a whole day in the library reading Enid Blyton magazines! Then l would take out the Famous Five and Secret Seven books to read at home! Later, l liked to read Nancy Drew books, 'Heidi' and ' What Katie Did' books
My mother used to buy me a book every so often, my favourite book of all time was Little Women. She also bought me Alice in Wonderland and Black Beauty, plus other classics.
At school the teacher read The Railway Children to us, which l loved! Other books read to the class were, The Circus is Coming and Moonfleet, l remember John Trenchard was in it!
I was a real bookworm in those days!
WoollyBack
Lincolnshire, UK
WoollyBack is male 

01-09-2017, 09:45 PM

Treasure Island
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 09:35 AM

I had book with a strip cartoon version of Robinson Crusoe

Another strip cartoon book was of Fudge and Speck; no-one seems to mention them or have heard of them now

Swallows and Amazons, and others by Arthur Ransome; I learned to recognise the distinctive patterned & coloured covers in the children's section of my local library.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I learned to read with Janet and John booksMy favourites at primary school and as a young teen were the Just William books by Richmal Crompton, Jennings Books by Anthony Buckeridge, the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome and, of course!, Biggles by W. E. Johns (essential reading for every young person then).

The first two series I thought were hilarious, the other two just plain adventurous (until I read King Soloman's Mines which scared the s%^t out of me).

Another I remember with some pleasure was one called The Silver Sword, I can't remember who wrote it but it was a war time adventure taking place in Europe.
Do you remember how proud we felt when the teacher said we were ready to move onto the next book?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top