Join for free
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 08:55 PM

Re: Runner Beans

True Meg. The tomatoes she grows are really better than anything that can be bought in the supermarket. Then there's all the fruit bushes. Mainly raspberries and red currents. I can pick those at will.

In return, I do the digging, fence building and earth moving, which I'm still reasonably OK with. Got to earn my greens.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Runner beans are grown on the allotment where I help out. I know nothing about the best way to grow them but I was asked to dig out a quite deep and wide trench in preparation for this year's crop.

The trench was lined with newspaper and over the next few weeks, it was filled with old cabbage cuttings, potato peelings and generally any waste that would decompose. Some compost too I think.

When all this was about a foot or more deep, the earth from the trench was shovelled in over the top. The bean poles will be erected here and this year's beans grown.

I'm told this will make a difference to the quality of the runner beans because the roots grow into the compost. I hope that's right because digging that trench and then shovelling the earth back in was damned hard work.
Originally Posted by Meg ->
I always dig a trench and have used newspaper,grass cuttings,leaf mold,spent mushroom compost anything in the bottom that will hold moisture. Runner beans are thirsty plants .
Only just seen this. Thanks very much.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 12:20 PM

I'm interested in this cabbage filled trench idea and will give it a go I think. Should the composting material be left for a while before planting the beans out or are they planted straight away?

I managed to get some of the 'Moonlight' variety yesterday at my local garden centre.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm interested in this cabbage filled trench idea and will give it a go I think. Should the composting material be left for a while before planting the beans out or are they planted straight away?

I managed to get some of the 'Moonlight' variety yesterday at my local garden centre.
Hi LD I usually dig my trench about a month before planting out placing about 9'' of topsoil on top of the compost.
I don't plant my bean seeds directly in the ground because of slugs instead I plant them in pots in the spare bedroom and transplant them out when they are about 6 inches high having first hardened them off .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-02-2019, 05:46 PM

Hi LD I usually dig my trench about a month before planting out placing about 9'' of topsoil on top of the compost.
I don't plant my bean seeds directly in the ground because of slugs instead I plant them in pots in the spare bedroom and transplant them out when they are about 6 inches high having first hardened them off .
Thank Meg. I will give it a go this year and report back.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-05-2019, 01:41 PM

Well, it's that time again.

I have two areas for the beans, one is in a large pot and the other in the ground with Meg's trench idea. I sowed out in position about two weeks ago but so far no sign of them. I'm sure last year they were showing within a few days. I might have to keep an eye out for plants just in case they don't work.

Anyone else having problems or am I just being impatient as usual?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 01:44 PM

I have two areas for the beans, one is in a large pot and the other in the ground with Meg's trench idea. I sowed out in position about two weeks ago but so far no sign of them. I'm sure last year they were showing within a few days. I might have to keep an eye out for plants just in case they don't work.

Are you sure you didn’t plant the beans upside down, LD?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-05-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Are you sure you didn’t plant the beans upside down, LD?
That did actually cross my mind when I was out there scratching my head.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:11 PM

Hi LD I sowed one lot of beans in pots at the end of April and put them in spare bedroom, they were up in a week/hardened off /planted out and are doing ok .

I decided to plant another row to stagger the crop , I sowed them directly into the ground over two weeks ago and there is no sign of them .

My brother in law planted a first lot in his greenhouse at the end of April and there is no sign of them .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010039 beans.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	9647  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Hi LD I sowed one lot of beans in pots at the end of April and put them in spare bedroom, they were up in a week/hardened off /planted out and are doing ok

I decided to plant another row to stagger the crop , I sowed them directly into the ground over two weeks ago and there is no sign of them .

My brother in law planted a first lot in his greenhouse at the end of April and there is no sign of them .
Spooky!

That's weird, I'm sure it has been warm enough to start them off. Oh well, I just need to be more patient I suppose. The plants I bought last year came up quickly but I wasn't over keen on the beans themselves whereas this time I have some recommended on here.

Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top