Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 08:12 AM

Re: Dahlias

I love dahlias - so colourful - so many varieties - and they smell nice too. Only drawback - they attract earwigs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Lovely pictures I'm never sure how to get my photos from my phone to here so I can't post ours but we have a massive dark leaved purple one in the corner of our triangular bed, and a lighter green leafed one an autumnal goldy brown colour in the raised bed. We want to add to them but need to clear a bit of space to put them in. Nathan and I moved the asters across the garden so that's made enough room for two more next year. Asters were supposed to be 8 inches tall according to the package but are nearly 5 foot tall !
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Beautiful pics of all your Dahlias..Im more a Fushia person...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Love them too have several perennial ones and we fill in with bedding ones.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Love them too have several perennial ones and we fill in with bedding ones.
I never tire of seeing them Julie,I have the most gorgeous pure white "Hawkshead" fushia bush by my front door..Ive never tried growing Dahlias though ..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Our first year with them was a disaster the rabbits really like them we found but since we rabbit proofed they have been really easy to grow. We don't take them up either we just heap mulch over them ans they seem to tolerate a winter. Not sure they would up north though we are fairly sheltered in our caravan garden down on the south coast.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Lovely pictures I'm never sure how to get my photos from my phone to here so I can't post ours !
Hey Julie,
See up top . The very top row, from left to right
Font style / size / happy face / and then ‘PAPER CLIP.’
Click on that ! It will open up a separate box for you to choose your location . My photos are in my ‘photo library ‘ . Click that and it should bring up all your pictures.

NOTE: they need to be a certain size so you most likely will need to crop them which is super easy. It’s usually just ‘edit’ button , then Crop button. Sometimes it looks like a frame icon. That allows you to crop it a little.

What I do is enlarge my pic some so that my subject is clearer then crop. Most phones allow you to revert it back if you choose.

OR go to tiny tics.com - use don’t need to register, upload your picture then copy the middle link made for forums and paste onto the page you want. These pictures turn out bigger than using the forums picture software.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->

Hi Aysa, I do like some Fuchsia's. This year I bought a very nice hardy one called "Hawkshead."

It is a small, quitew delicate little flower, but profuse and snow white. I am very pleased with it so far, just hope it over winters alright.

Here is a picture of it from a nursery.

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/fu...id.2000011206/
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

14-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hi Aysa, I do like some Fuchsia's. This year I bought a very nice hardy one called "Hawkshead."

It is a small, quitew delicate little flower, but profuse and snow white. I am very pleased with it so far, just hope it over winters alright.

Here is a picture of it from a nursery.

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/fu...id.2000011206/
I have the most gorgeous pure white "Hawkshead" fushia bush by my front door Mups..ive had it for several years and its really flourishing and quite large now..I had wanted a pure white one for a while.
Mine is situated in a sunny area which is by my front door,it overwinters very well here,I dont do anything to it at all.
Its the most pretty delicate flower and has a really long flowering time.
I see it says flowering period is from June to October but mine is still in full flower atm and looking lovely..
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 07:22 PM

Following on ....I am finding that over the last few years that dahlias that I have left in the ground have survived. Those that some that I left in pots under cover have rotted, so I will be lifting the more showy one that I purchased shear and put in pots. I suppose it does depend on your garden and whether it’s subject to cold weather.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top