Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 01:14 AM

Re: What is the riskiest thing you have done.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Getting married

Seriously, getting wed is a risk. Luckily for me it was a risk worth taking and I don't regret any of it.
Yes indeed. I took that risk over fifty years ago. No regrets.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 03:31 AM

I think the riskiest thing I have ever done was emigrating to Australia by myself when I was 19. Actually I didn't think so at the time but it probably was.

Looking back even travelling overland to Australia from the UK a few years later via Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan was easy. At 19 I knew absolutely nothing.

Apart from that I think I have lived a very sheltered life.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 03:34 AM

Yes indeed, getting married...and then adopting...

but then there was surfing in a big winter storm with massive heaving waves all by myself (not smart) .

A good guardian angel, have I.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 07:21 AM

Risky or stupid?
I have done many really risky/stupid things when I was young and drunk.
One that springs to mind as it still make me shudder when I pass the building even now. I shared a top floor and one of the flatmates fell asleep inntge toilet and I walked outside on a ledge from a bedroom to the toilet window which was open so I could get in and open the door whilst drunk.

Another flat I lived in, a tenement in Edinburgh had scaffolding on both sides of the building I climbed up one side and down the other just for a laugh again whilst drunk.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 09:30 AM

I only met Steven 6 weeks before we married, everyone told us that was a huge risk. Luckily we are still happy.

Other was taking on our boys they were a bit wild and angry at being abandoned by their parents and looking back that could have gone very differently if we hadn't managed to get them under control fairly quickly.

We've had dogs too that were a risk as they were biters, but we had things in place to make sure everyone was safe and managed to give them long happy lives.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 09:31 AM

I have risked my life so many times over years, the list is almost as long as, 'War and Peace'.

Kicking a live grenade around like a football when I was ten, and outrunning a herd of about 20 cows, who were stampeding towards me a few years ago, are probably top of my list.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Risky or stupid?
I have done many really risky/stupid things when I was young and drunk.
One that springs to mind as it still make me shudder when I pass the building even now. I shared a top floor and one of the flatmates fell asleep inntge toilet and I walked outside on a ledge from a bedroom to the toilet window which was open so I could get in and open the door whilst drunk.

Another flat I lived in, a tenement in Edinburgh had scaffolding on both sides of the building I climbed up one side and down the other just for a laugh again whilst drunk.
Blimey...you truly are lucky to be alive!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Hi, I hope no-one minds this rather long saga.

The riskiest (and most stupid) thing I ever did?

When I was a teenager, aged about 18, here in Shropshire, the lamppost lights were always turned off on the stroke of midnight. (only the town centre lights ever remained on).
One rule my Dad was always insistent on was to ensure if I went out for the evening, to be back indoors well before midnight when pitch darkness descended on the streets.
Believe me, when I say dark, I mean dark! You could not see in front of you once those lights went out, especially as most if not all house lights were also out as most people were in bed by midnight.

Anyway, one evening, I met three of my friends and we went to the cinema. We came out about 10.10pm. I had plenty of time to walk home before midnight (a twenty minute walk) so wasn’t worried at all about the time and we all decided to go to the coffee bar before parting, we were having a great time, one of my brother’s was coming out of the coffee bar as we entered, and said I should walk home with him, but heck, I hadn’t even had my coffee, so declined.

I was having such a good time that when I remembered to look at my watch, I was surprised to see that time had flown and it was now 11.35pm. That was a shock! I quickly said goodbye to my friends (they all lived the other end of town) and started to walk home, I was a bit nervous about the time as I was wearing stiletto heels and couldn’t walk as fast as I usually would have. I was also now seriously wishing I had taken up my brothers offer of walking home with him because the long road from the well lit town centre was rather creepy and involved having to walk through a small copse to the housing estate,(which everyone used to avoid taking the long route to get home). The copse had no lighting in the trees but was usually light enough with the lamppost lights on.
It was so quiet as I walked the road, all I could hear were my stiletto heels clip clopping along and which made me feel even more alone.

I kept looking at my watch as I walked, 11.50pm. I knew it, I just knew it, I was still going to be walking when the lamppost lights were going to go out. (no cars, no phones, no mobiles for us teenagers back then). I knew I was looking forward to a rocket from Dad because he would be sending out a search party! I wanted to walk really fast but those blasted shoes I had on were stopping me. I just needed to get through that copse and onto the housing estate where I lived before the lights went out and I would be able to make my way home easily.

I was about 300 yards from the copse.(The entrance and exit both had a turnstile gate), when I noticed someone cycling behind me. I recognised him as one of the lads from my eldest brothers crowd. He lived on the same housing estate, a few streets from us with his girlfriend and her parents.
He slowed down as he passed me, said Hi and then rode on. I just said Goodnight back to him and thought no more about it. Funnily enough, at the time, I was just relieved that someone else was around besides me!

Well, as I expected, just when I was within reach of the copse, the flippin lamppost lights suddenly went out, which caused me to suddenly stand still in shock! I couldn’t even see in front of me. I wasn’t particularly scared though, just a bit vulnerable and suddenly very alone. I also knew that I was already in trouble with my Dad as no doubt he would already have my brothers out looking for me. Even then I wasn’t too worried. I always knew how to get round my Dad when he was annoyed with me. (I was his little princess).

But the thought of them worrying only made me walk faster and I entered the copse, swinging the turnstile gate both ways to enter, I had never ever been in there when it was so dark before and I started to hum my favourite song again just to get me through, it was only a 3 minute walk though to the exit turnstile gate.
Half-way along the path, someone suddenly stepped out from behind a tree and blocked my way.
Well, that was it! I knew immediately it was the lad who had cycled past me. He must have lifted his bike over the small turnstile gate and waited.
I froze for a few seconds, then pushed past him (thank the Lord he hadn’t grabbed hold of me) and ran so fast,(stiletto heels and all), my feet felt as though they were actually flying off the ground,I know that if I had tripped or bumped into anything, I would have killed myself.
I ran so fast.
I flew through the exit turnstile gate and down the path onto the housing estate. It was pitch dark, I was absolutely terrified and when I looked back, he was cycling after me! Luckily, the first houses were near, I raced through the gate of the first house, where I knew a friend of my brother lived. I slammed the gate closed as I raced through it and ran down the garden path, I was sick with fear because the house was in complete darkness and he was now outside the gate on his bike, just staring at me, waiting.

No-one will ever know the relief I felt as I hammered on the door and a light came on in the house and my brother’s friend appeared in his dressing-gown. I was a quivering wreck by then. I waited in the kitchen while he went and got dressed to walk me the rest of the way home.
As we walked out of the gate, three of my brothers arrived on the scene and took me home.

I won’t go into detail about what transpired at home as this saga is long enough, but it was very hard for my Mum to stop my Dad and brothers going round to the Lads home there and then. She insisted that we inform the Police instead, so Dad went to the public phone box and phoned them. They left it until the next morning to come round. They took a statement from me, then, with Dad accompanying me, we all went to the Lads house.
They asked him all sorts of questions, First they asked me in front of him what colour was his bike??? (in pitch darkness, all I could remember was that it was a dark blackish bike), he then responded and said it was dark green. They asked me if I knew what he was wearing?? All I could say was I remembered he was wearing a check shirt, He replied by saying that he didn’t have a check shirt. But everyone noticed that his girlfriend and her parents looked at him strangely when he said that. Of course, my Dad then interrupted by saying that he didn’t need the police to deal with him, He would do for him himself!!

Anyway, in conclusion, there was not enough evidence to charge him with anything. But his name was mud after that, “and my eldest brother had a word with him a couple of weeks later”. He wouldn't be frightening anymore young girls soon.

As for me? Never, ever again! I was so sorry, ashamed and embarrassed that I had caused so much trouble, although it certainly wasn’t my fault regarding that vile lad. After that episode, I never ever stayed out after 11 pm until I was going out with a boyfriend!!

I have never been so scared in my life as I was that night.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 03:03 PM

So glad it was just a fright you got, could have ended so much worse.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Is that risky Bes? I thought it was supposed to be one of the warmest and most relaxing place in the world........
This was off the coast of South Africa at Durban. The undertow dragged me for from the shore and it was a struggle to get back in. Not to mention the danger from sharks.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top