Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 01:36 PM

Visiting my step children

Here I am folks visiting my husbands children.
Well I should say We am sitting in his daughters house waiting for them .
I never want to come here because it's awful .
This arrangement has been made several weeks ago for his daughters to meet up with him this weekend.
He has insisted I come with him ( I would much rather stay at home) but it a long drive over a hundred miles in bad weather so eventually I have sucombed ) Also ( a first ) we have been offered a bed overnight so maybe things are looking up I thought ( previously we have always stayed on a travel lodge or somewhere )
So we arrive after a long drive at about six and have to look for somewhere to buy coffee she doesn't drink coffee and I forgot to bring any Then we wait ages for dinner .At about nine we are about ready to pass out from hunger she says just going to pop the dumplings in the stew and we will eat .
I go in the kitchen and ask can I do anything and she is MAKING the bloody dumplings .
Luckily I had brought a bottle of wine with me to sustain myself !
Ok this morning beautiful but icy Mr M and I get up and take my dog and her ghastly uncontrollable underexcercised dog to park . It was lovely and the dogs had a good time .
The arrangement was she was to drive over to her mother's house pick up her sister who was staying there and come back for breakfast at around 11.OO.
Of I knew this wasn't going to happen so them we went out and bought marmalade ( there is nothing else but toast ) and have fed ourselves and the dogs .
They still haven't turned up and it's gone 12.30
Of course I am inwardly seething for my husbands sake .
He's getting on he has driven all this way and they can't even be here for him.
No wonder neither of them have got husbands !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 01:59 PM

Re: Visiting my step children

are you sure you're in the appropriate section??
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 02:10 PM

Let us know how it turns out Muddy.

I have a friend in a similar family situation to the one you describe.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 02:26 PM

It's always been like this Carol .
They never ever turn up on time to any arrangement in the 20 years I have known them .
So I have taken defensive measures .
If the meeting is for lunch , I have lunch beforehand !
I also take reading material .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 02:40 PM

My friend & her husband always have to make arrangements to see his two daughters from a previous marriage. The girls never come to see their dad at all. Even when they meet up they aren't made to feel particularly welcome..

My friend resents them but puts up with it for his sake. Now he's ill and can't travel much. His daughters haven't been anywhere near.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Some people seem to live on a different timeline from everyone else, plus they can seem to have no inkling of how to be a host, or even to put themselves in another's position.

I can fully understand your irritation......I would be the same.

As you say, you've just got on and seen to yourselves, foodwise etc. , which is the wisest option, but it does seem to defeat the object of you both trailing all the way there, especially in this weather.

Has your husband ever spoken to her about it?

You say neither are married? Well. If they've had many years just living on their own, doing what they want to when they want to, without needing to think of anyone else, they haven't needed to consider anyone.

Not an excuse, though.

Also, with close family, there can be a very laisser-faire attitude, as in: "Oh, it's only Dad, so I don't need to change my habits this weekend."

That's probably why your husband wanted you there! For company, and food!

Shame if there's not much quality time for your husband, though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My friend & her husband always have to make arrangements to see his two daughters from a previous marriage. The girls never come to see their dad at all. Even when they meet up they aren't made to feel particularly welcome..

My friend resents them but puts up with it for his sake. Now he's ill and can't travel much. His daughters haven't been anywhere near.

I believe it .
If I go first I dont give much for his chances for filial care !

Right they have shown up now and Mr M has suggested a walk around the town .

Great
Oh no now one has to get ready !
God give me strength !
It a scruffy old town full of students how much ready do you need to get !
It's already nearly 2.00 am FGS!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-02-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Some people seem to live on a different timeline from everyone else, plus they can seem to have no inkling of how to be a host, or even to put themselves in another's position.

I can fully understand your irritation......I would be the same.

As you say, you've just got on and seen to yourselves, foodwise etc. , which is the wisest option, but it does seem to defeat the object of you both trailing all the way there, especially in this weather.

Has your husband ever spoken to her about it?

You say neither are married? Well. If they've had many years just living on their own, doing what they want to when they want to, without needing to think of anyone else, they haven't needed to consider anyone.

Not an excuse, though.

Also, with close family, there can be a very laisser-faire attitude, as in: "Oh, it's only Dad, so I don't need to change my habits this weekend."

That's probably why your husband wanted you there! For company, and food!

Shame if there's not much quality time for your husband, though.
You are so right Pyxell .
There is a million things I would much rather be doing at home in comfort and warm ( have just asked if they can put the heating up my poor husband is going blue ) it's set at 16 degrees .
Hanging about waiting for people makes me cold and drives me to distraction !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Hi

Never seen my Exes step children, she who was the Mother of my kids.

My two hate them, spoilt brats.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 04:37 PM

They sound a nightmare Muddy!
Selfish isn't in it!

Buy stuff to make your own tea while you're in town
And cook it at a decent hour!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top