Join for free
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 08:42 PM

Amazon Firestick

Hi all

Does anyone here have an amazon firestick, if so what can you do with it. Someone told my son you can get sky sports using a firestick, anyone know if this is true? He said something about a kodi box but I've no idea what a kodi box is. Are they legal?

I googled it and it says you can't get sky sports using the firestick but this person has told my son you can so I'm confused.

Can anyone help?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 11:03 PM

Re: Amazon Firestick

Kodi boxes are very legal

Streaming is also legal within the EU

You have to know this before you make your choice

What is ILEGAL is buying either a Kodi box or Firestick "fully loaded", ie, someone else has downloaded the apps needed to access the streaming services. However its really easy to do yourself

I have a Kodi box and I get to watch whatever I want to watch, when I want to watch it, the latest blockbusters, the footie, the boxing, whatever

It is no ILEGAL

However the streaming sites do get shut down a lot, but pop up again a day later, you do need to keep an eye on what sites are trusted and working
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 12:10 AM

Streaming commercial content from pirate sites IS NOT LEGAL, which is what most Kodi box owners use it for.

They believe they are safe on the basis that authorities will only target their activities towards the pirate sites but make no mistake, the industry knows exactly who is streaming pirated content. It goes through your Internet Service Provider so there's a "paper trail" for every citizen who is doing this.

They could eventually decide to go after end users and make an example of a few to get the message across.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 12:21 AM

Use a VPN.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 02:36 AM

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...legal-14089767

This is what you can and can't do with your Kodi box - according to the government

How do you identify an illicit streaming device

If you are watching television programmes, films or sporting events where you would normally be paying to view them and you have not paid, you are likely to be using an illicit streaming device (ISD) or app.

This could include a film recently released in the cinema, a sporting event that is being broadcast by BT Sport or a television programme, like Game of Thrones, that is only available on Sky.

These devices are often purchased online and described as ‘Fully Loaded, Jail Broken, Plug and Play, or Subscription Gift’.

They are described using these terms to show that they have been adapted and are functioning as an illicit streaming device.

In some cases consumers buy devices and subsequently add the software, this also makes it an illicit streaming device.
It's unlikely that "users" will be prosecuted but the "providers" have been:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-online-piracy

Two men who supplied “Kodi-type” illegal streaming devices have been jailed for four and half years each at Newcastle Crown Court.
Rocket ron
New Member!
Liverpool uk
Rocket ron is male 

05-02-2019, 09:29 AM

But how?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Does anyone know about Mobdro? Is that illegal?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Does anyone know about Mobdro? Is that illegal?
I've never heard of it, so I've Googled it. Apparently:

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/what-mobdr...ndroid-1630174

Unlike Kodi, which is an open-source chunk of software designed to support third-party add-ons across multiple devices and operating systems, Mobdro is an Android-exclusive application that is ostensibly a streaming search engine that can tune into a swathe of live broadcasts.

Some of these - as with certain Kodi add-ons which only support legal streams - do not contain content which infringes on copyright. However, the number of Mobdro streams that feature live TV channels, movies and sports greatly outweigh the quantity of legal ones.

Be aware - downloading and installing the APK file for the app will require you to turn off Android's external application restrictions. This is a surefire way of inviting malware onto your device if you are not fully sure what it is you are downloading.

While Kodi is built as an entirely legal platform that requires the user to specifically select copyright infringing add-ons, Mobdro has links to live, illegal video streams by default.
AFAIK, no "users" have been the subject of prosecution.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've never heard of it, so I've Googled it. Apparently:

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/what-mobdr...ndroid-1630174

AFAIK, no "users" have been the subject of prosecution.
Thank You, Omah.
Would you know.......What if you downloaded Mobdro onto an Amazon fire stick to use in your ‘non smart’ television? How would malware affect the television?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-02-2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank You, Omah.
Would you know.......What if you downloaded Mobdro onto an Amazon fire stick to use in your ‘non smart’ television? How would malware affect the television?
I don't think malware would affect your TV.

I tried Kodi but stopped using it because the use of ancillary software to make it work was opening up my phones and PCs to malware infiltration - Mobdro probably works the same way, by requesting access to your local network. At the moment, the risks are probably low .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top