Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 07:32 PM

Garden Pests Already

Sure sign the days are warmer.
Over the last two days, I have found -

One big fat caterpiller
Two slugs
Two snails
A lovely butterfly trapped in my growhouse.

AND . . the worst of all, FOUR tubs with Vine Weevals!

One of my beautiful lemon Azaleas has been looking poorly and wasn't picking up, so I poked about to look round the roots and sure enough, it was the dreaded vine weeval.
Found the same under another Azalea, also under a new Rose, plus another in a tub of Primroses and Clematis.

So much so for Nematodes, looks like it is back to the chemicals which I am really not happy about.

Has anyone else found any undesireables yet?

Oh yes, I also forgot I had two Gnats indoors last night, and as some will remember, they worry me because I can react to their bites.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 07:36 PM

Re: Garden Pests Already

I have something worse Mups darlin' - Barbeques - they light 'em up with thick clouds of pungent smoke and poison the whole neighbourhood with the smell.
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 07:51 PM

On a good note-there was a Ladybird on a towel hanging on my washing line this afternoon.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 07:52 PM

That's a shame Mups, the nematodes obviously didn't work. I also spotted a couple of caterpillars today.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 08:23 PM

Hi

The forecast is for it turning much colder by the weekend.

Mild winters are not a gardeners friend when it comes to pests.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's a shame Mups, the nematodes obviously didn't work. I also spotted a couple of caterpillars today.

Doesn't look like it, dongles.

I was so careful making the mixture up and getting it the right strength etc, but don't think I will buy any more now.

I hate using the strong chemicals, especially with the dogs around, but I think I will have to, as I have some very special plants which I would be very upset to lose to these little blighters.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
On a good note-there was a Ladybird on a towel hanging on my washing line this afternoon.

Ooh yes, rhosyn, I forgot that.
I was talking to me neighbour this afternoon, and he suddenly told me I had a 'bug' crawling up my jumper. When I looked down, it was a little Ladybird.

There was also one bee on the patio, looking a bit odd and sleepy.

It'll be such a shame if things begin to throw up new shoots early, and insects and critters come out of hibernation, and then it turns bitterly cold again and kills them again.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooh yes, rhosyn, I forgot that.
I was talking to me neighbour this afternoon, and he suddenly told me I had a 'bug' crawling up my jumper. When I looked down, it was a little Ladybird.

There was also one bee on the patio, looking a bit odd and sleepy.

It'll be such a shame if things begin to throw up new shoots early, and insects and critters come out of hibernation, and then it turns bitterly cold again and kills them again.
You just reminded me..... avery large bee buzzing around which sounded like a helicopter.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-02-2019, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You just reminded me..... avery large bee buzzing around which sounded like a helicopter.

I know just what you mean dongles, they're huge aren't they, and they make a different sound, a much deeper and louder 'voice'.
I had a couple fly near me last year but haven't seen them this year yet.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 06:42 AM

Gardening over the weekend I was amazed there were so many snails....my courtyard is a haven for them it's a little micro climate all of it's own and they seem to have survived the winter...

Trouble is snails love it and even though I'm surrounded by a 7ft wall and I gather them up and take them well away they find their way back....it's a running battle.

Such pretty shells though....couldn't kill them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top