Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Re: A third of Jobseekers are over 50.

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Where I used to work, the oldest member of staff there has just turned 70 and has no intention of retiring

Where I work now there are 2 over 65s, also no intention of retiring

A lot of check out staff in the shops in town are elders, by that I mean well past retirement age.

When the team who came to pile our extension came out, there was a fellow there in his 70's, still capable of making a mix and wheeling a barrow

Age is just a number and if you want to work there is work to be had

Good for them Missy!....my son took me to Duelm a while back,I kid you not,most cashiers were in their 60s,well they looked it anyway!...
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Age is not just a number .
It's a slowing down of physical capability .
There are of course exceptions but these are exceptions .

Of course there is a slowing down of physical capability, the 70 year old where I used to work has cut back to just three 8 hour days in a restaurant kitchen rather then then five 10 hour days she done along with me, and the over 65s where I am now only do 6 hours compared the the 10+ us younger ones do

Im 55 this year and Im slower then the 20 to 40 year olds I work alongside, but Im reliable, Im a worker , Im just as valued

They might have a higher output because they are younger and faster, but they are the ones who have young children and family who need them at the drop of a hat, they are the ones who need school holidays off, who have to leave for the school run, time off that us older workers don't need, so we are just as employable, esp in these days of part time workers and ZHCs
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 08:43 PM

Depends in what capacity.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Depends in what capacity.
ere

True

But do you feel that you are totally out of the job market?

I myself chop and change, there are loads of "jobs" out there there us older people can do, as long as we aren't fussy

I myself cant see myself retiring, I would be bored out of my head and grow old too quick. Mr Missy is of the same mindset, he's on three days and the work is coming in daily, people asking for him because his work is so good
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 10:13 AM

I would t really like to see older people doing high risk jobs where they can fall or hurt themselves .
Some jobs are meant for the young and hale.
Also with so much u employment itsnt it right the young get first dibs at a job ?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top