Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 11:18 AM

US detects huge meteor explosion over the Bering Sea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47607696

Chelyabinsk (top centre-right) and this impact (top far-right) are the standout events

A huge fireball exploded in the Earth's atmosphere in December, according to Nasa.

The blast was the second largest of its kind in 30 years, and the biggest since the fireball over Chelyabinsk in Russia six years ago.

But it went largely unnoticed until now because it blew up over the Bering Sea, off Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula.

The space rock exploded with 10 times the energy released by the Hiroshima atomic bomb.

Lindley Johnson, planetary defence officer at Nasa, told BBC News a fireball this big is only expected about two or three times every 100 years.

Technical data

At about noon local time on 18 December, the asteroid barrelled through the atmosphere at a speed of 32km/s, on a steep trajectory of seven degrees.

Measuring several metres in size, the space rock exploded 25.6km above the Earth's surface, with an impact energy of 173 kilotons.
"That was 40% the energy release of Chelyabinsk, but it was over the Bering Sea so it didn't have the same type of effect or show up in the news," said Kelly Fast, near-Earth objects observations programme manager at Nasa.

"That's another thing we have in our defence, there's plenty of water on the planet."
Plenty of previous fireballs were over land, though .....
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 01:28 PM

Re: US detects huge meteor explosion over the Bering Sea

Nothing on the news that I've seen, though.

I suppose other recent events have eclipsed it somewhat.

However, despite no deaths or destruction of property, it is very newsworthy, I'd have thought.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 01:42 PM

From the article

"That's another thing we have in our defence, there's plenty of water on the planet."

Hardly. A meteor of sufficient size landing in one of the oceans will create a vast tidal wave which will sweep inland causing a massive amount of death and destruction.

(Or, if you're a flat-earther, will spill over the edges of the planet)
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
From the article

Hardly. A meteor of sufficient size landing in one of the oceans will create a vast tidal wave which will sweep inland causing a massive amount of death and destruction.

(Or, if you're a flat-earther, will spill over the edges of the planet)
And dilute all the milk that the turtle is swimming in!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Revealed: First image of huge meteor explosion over Earth last year

https://www.newscientist.com/article...rth-last-year/

The smoke trail is almost vertical, showing that it entered the atmosphere very steeply, and it’s possible to see a long, thin shadow cast by the smoke cloud against the Earth’s cloud layer below.

Simon Proud, an aviation safety fellow and meteorologist at the University of Oxford, who shared the image on Twitter, said, “I’m sure it’s the meteor trace.”

He said, “It appears in the images at the right time, it is in the right location, the smoke column is almost vertical, and the smoke is very high. Much higher than any clouds in that region and too high to be a contrail.”
Doesn't look like much, does it .....

But it could wipe out a city if it made contact .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Nothing on the news that I've seen, though.

I suppose other recent events have eclipsed it somewhat.

However, despite no deaths or destruction of property, it is very newsworthy, I'd have thought.
Would they tell us anyway Pyxell?
I think not, it would cause too much panic. They only have to mention a petrol shortage and the pumps would sell out in an afternoon....

Throughout history there have been some major meteor strikes including the one that wiped out the dinosaurs after the dust from the incident plunged the world into a twenty year winter of darkness.....

I believe the next one is overdue and it will make all this save the world rubbish irrelevant.......
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Revealed: First image of huge meteor explosion over Earth last year

https://www.newscientist.com/article...rth-last-year/

Doesn't look like much, does it .....

But it could wipe out a city if it made contact .....
Any chance of steering it towards Brussels?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I believe the next one is overdue and it will make all this save the world rubbish irrelevant.......

According to the article it happens 2 or 3 times every hundred years and was detected by a Japanese satellite.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 03:39 AM

Very cool! That was some explosion. What's even more amazing are the ones that manage to make it to the Earth's surface.

Great share. Thanks!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-03-2019, 07:13 AM

There's more:

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top