Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 11:04 PM

Re: Is it OK to Grow Test Tube Brains?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Part of me is against this for ethical reasons, but another part is hungry for progress if we can find a way to transplant brain cells and halt alzheimers, reverse brain damage, cure paralysis. Imagine if they can bring someone who has dementia back to normal life. So I am torn on this subject.

Decades ago people were horrified at the idea of heart and other organ transplants. Scientific progress can seem horrific.

I didn't see anything about their reasons for doing this Annie, but have just looked at the article again and it says:

"The ambition is to use systems like this to study how the human brain and nervous system develop and why things go wrong in illnesses such as motor neurone disease, epilepsy and schizophrenia."

I suppose some research has to be done, else we'd still be living like cave men, I guess I just don't like thinking about how other things suffer because of it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why do the mad scientists need to do this?

What is the point when many people nowadays are donating organs.
Just another excuse to practice macabre experiments on innocent animals., and you can be sure it won't stop at unfortunate mice!

They are supported by the "Anti Caveman Brigade"?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why do the mad scientists need to do this?

What is the point when many people nowadays are donating organs.
Just another excuse to practice macabre experiments on innocent animals., and you can be sure it won't stop at unfortunate mice!
I entirely agree, Mups.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 07:45 AM

Tabby, how about an Oog
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:59 PM

Good article, Puddle Duck, and those of you, like me, who think that animals should not be used in such a manner - I fully agree.

But what about that brain? If it was a human brain, or this work extends into human brain research? Are we toying with a person?

What makes you - you?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Part of me is against this for ethical reasons, but another part is hungry for progress if we can find a way to transplant brain cells and halt alzheimers, reverse brain damage, cure paralysis. Imagine if they can bring someone who has dementia back to normal life. So I am torn on this subject.

Decades ago people were horrified at the idea of heart and other organ transplants. Scientific progress can seem horrific.
Interesting Annie, but progress, No, this will eventually have
have great social consequences as is allready being
manifested in society presently, with excess old people
living far longer etc. Nobody knows what other effects
will be forthcoming!

Regards Donkeyman
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Surely test tube brains would only suit certain people.

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 01:44 PM

How about this ?

“To humanise them is to cause harm”. University of Colorado bioethicist Jacqueline Glover responding to the news that scientists in China - in collaboration with researchers at the University of North Carolina - have implanted human brain genes into monkeys. It follows the disturbing news, and images, of five cloned baby monkeys who were created earlier in the year for medical research, also raising ethical and scientific concerns. Only 5 of 21 animals survived to the testing stage for this latest study, during which the monkeys were subjected to computer memory tests, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. To create these poor animals, their mothers would have been injected with hormones to produce multiple eggs, which would have been removed, fertilised and then implanted into an unwilling surrogate mother.To learn about human behaviour and disease, human-relevant non-animal research methods need to be used, not animals.

Get the facts and find out how you can help make this happen: https://worlddayforlaboratoryanimals.org/

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...r3Xxp0_HkSaFQM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top