Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Are you careful with money?

I would say I wasn't - I'm always buying things for the high it gives; this soon wears off, though.

I recently bought another watch that I just don't need although you could say collecting watches is a hobby of mine I've got one for every day of the week. At the same time I resent paying high prices for basic things like food and toiletries.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Re: Are you careful with money?

Have always had to be 'careful' - never had enough money that I could be profligate with.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Yes, always try to put a little away every week as well, to cope with the two big expenses in my life. Vet Bills and Car Bills......shudder.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Have always had to be 'careful' - never had enough money that I could be profligate with.
If you did have more money would you spend it? Or perhaps save it?
oneandonly
New Member!
Devon
oneandonly is female 

22-03-2019, 01:25 PM

Not careful enough really,still buy things I don’t need,,but on a tight budget,so have to be.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
If you did have more money would you spend it? Or perhaps save it?

Some of each - spend out on a holiday, but put some away for a 'rainy day' too.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 02:04 PM

I a fairly careful with money, but not for trying to be. The "want" has gone from me these days. I don't mind giving to my children and grandchildren - and this is where a good portion of my money goes. I take the attitude that is better they have it while their children are young and they can benefit. My mum and dad saved (mum in particular after dad died). She found it difficult to buy anything other than her food and make sure the bills were paid. She died in her 80's and by that time we didn't need her money and I passed my inheritance along to my children, allowing them both to buy good houses without huge mortgages. Somehow the money meant nothing to me - It was as if it wasn't mine anyway.

Of course, I see nice things in the shops, but strangely once I have done the "window shopping" I am satisfied.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 08:30 PM

I have always been reasonably careful with money. This came from an upbringing where I was taught the value of money, it did not ‘grow on trees’ and was not easy to come by without hard work.

My paternal grandfather was my ‘bank’, the ‘bank of mum and dad’ was not possible as money was simply not available. All my father earned by working very hard went to keeping food on the table and a roof over the family’s heads.

I was always able to borrow money and it always had to be repaid, in full. That taught me a lot by way of having to work to repay a loan and anything I bought with that borrowed money was well looked after as I knew the effort put into working to repay it.

Also my grandfather only had that money to lend me as he used to save from his wages. Another lesson taught to me by example for which I have always been grateful, all this been of benefit to me all my life.

Nowadays being retired all that has been useful to know. I now have what I want and live well but do not buy what is not necessary. My grandchildren benefit as I help them out for their future by giving them a start in life with savings accounts. I just hope they too will realise the value of money and also save what they are able to whenever they can.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 08:37 PM

I would spend spend spend, but my hubby puts a stop to that.
He keeps a tight reign on me, but, when he is not looking, I buy shoes, shhhhh
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Yes, very careful. As children we were brought up to earn pocket money by helping around the house. What money we 'earned' we were always told to spend some, save some. That way we always had a bit of money in our money boxes which we wouldn't dare to spend.

Even though we are quite comfortable now, we don't buy things for the sake of it.

When I had my children I told them the same and by the time they flew the nest they both had a reasonable amount to start their own lives with.

Now my grandchildren (16 & 18) are following suit, if they want anything they have to save up for it themselves and they actually feel quite good that they have been able to do that for themselves.

Respect money and it will respect you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top