Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 12:00 PM

new owners of our kennels spitting blood

let me explain.
We sold our kennels and cattery over 4 years ago now but we still have a contact with another pal who also has a kennel nearby to the one we had.

Well he rang me last night and was talking about licencing which is annually renewed at about 3 times now from what we had to pay. That is apart from umpteen pointless new forms including want to know the kennel owners age ( don't even ask why they want to know ,I don't have a clue)

Anyway a new inspector from the local council called at our old kennels and gave a zero mark when others in different areas were given a full 5 marks and not up to the anywhere near same standard.

So the new owner asked why his was marked so low and he inspector said he would have to pay the final part of the licence fee to find out

Well this owner is spitting blood as he found out the inspector has no qualification on kennel inspection and never done an inspection before.

This could mean he loose thousands of pounds of business apart for the implication he runs a terrible kennels, yet it is one of the best if not the best in the area.

Apparently there is no set rules or even a tick sheet different council inspectors have to go by, that is even within the same council.

All i can say is thank god we sold when we did
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Re: new owners of our kennels spitting blood

It's a symptom of the times we live in - too many regulations to adhere to monitored by plebs who have no inkling what the job entails. These regulatory bodies are created solely for the purpose extorting money out of companies and tradespeople to pay for their wages. There are many changes to existing sensible regulations over time to justify the existences of the regulatory bodies.

These changes have to be followed and woe betide if there's some deviation from them and you are found out. If there's some incident and you are investigated you better make damned sure that you followed the `rules` to the letter or you get fined. Another `who's to blame` exercise.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 08:50 AM

Surely he should pay the final part of the licence fee .
To find out why the kennels failed to score and remedy the situation.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 09:07 AM

Hi

I do not understand this at all.

We used a Vet to inspect and licence our kennels and catteries, simply because although we were made responsible for it, none of us had the faintest.

We charged the Vets Fee plus 20% for admin.

The problem is that it is all lumped under Enforcement.

I know as much about Kennels and Catteries as my Vet knows about ISIS and chemical weapons.

Just another example of the lack of commonsense in Government.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 09:13 AM

I would just pay the enhanced fee's, it doesn't do to be in the "Dog House" with the council.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 11:25 AM

I can understand why they are annoyed but I can't see any way out other than pay the fee they tend to have people by the short and curlies when they make these rules up, in fact they are designed with that in mind more than animal welfare imo
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 11:38 AM

We used to pay around £100 a year for the licence and the council never even did a visit. Now it is well over £300 in 3 payment with forms to fill in for each payment.

But then again we knew the environmental officer for about 20 years at least and he knew us,so he knew what our standards were. Phil (the inspector) turned up usually for a chat any time or for a cuppa, He actually helped me by holding up the new kennel kitchen ceiling i was installing at the time.

We hit it off straight away because when we bought the place I called him in to ask what he would like to see in way of upgrades. So he made a list and allowed us to do vast improvements over he following 5/6 years.

the farmer in he next field upset a manure cart right behind on kennel block, a client complained it was dog waste. Phil soon told them not to be stupid and check first or even for them to ask us

The stupid council decided they didn't want a dedicated kennel /cattery inspector so gave him the big boot.

Since we sold up the council send anyone. One year my pal said they sent a guy who did noise complaint on roads. Another year a shop food inspector. next year someone who had never done an inspection and was from out of area.

Looks as if they are still playing silly games for a licence
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We used to pay around £100 a year for the licence and the council never even did a visit. Now it is well over £300 in 3 payment with forms to fill in for each payment.

But then again we knew the environmental officer for about 20 years at least and he knew us,so he knew what our standards were. Phil (the inspector) turned up usually for a chat any time or for a cuppa, He actually helped me by holding up the new kennel kitchen ceiling i was installing at the time.

We hit it off straight away because when we bought the place I called him in to ask what he would like to see in way of upgrades. So he made a list and allowed us to do vast improvements over he following 5/6 years.

the farmer in he next field upset a manure cart right behind on kennel block, a client complained it was dog waste. Phil soon told them not to be stupid and check first or even for them to ask us

The stupid council decided they didn't want a dedicated kennel /cattery inspector so gave him the big boot.

Since we sold up the council send anyone. One year my pal said they sent a guy who did noise complaint on roads. Another year a shop food inspector. next year someone who had never done an inspection and was from out of area.

Looks as if they are still playing silly games for a licence
Same in my trade. If an electrician does a `notifiable` job, i.e. a rewire or perhaps a consumer unit change, the work has to be notified to the local council's works division. You fill out a form and send it complete with the necessary test results and they send someone out to inspect the work. That someone is usually a joiner or maybe a builder from time to time because their own `sparks` are glorified lightbulb changers with no inkling of how to wire anything let alone carry out a full-blown rewire.

It is something we have to put up with to comply with the conditions of Part P of the building regulations.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top