Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Cabinet minister about to deliver coup de grasse

May's time as Prime Minister is about to be brought to an end by some of her own cabinet ministers.

Not before time !!!

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/03/2...d-a-all-overa/
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Re: Cabinet minister about to deliver coup de grasse

There have been several posts running Winston Churchill down as PM. All I can say is Thank the Lord T May was not our PM during WW2.
I served in the army during Churchill,s time as PM. Believe me he was a terrific moral booster for both civilians and members of the armed forces.
Yes, he made mistakes but can anyone tell me who didn,t?
Who during WW1 when told that 15,000 men had been killed during the Battle of The Somme in one day said "Then send in 15,,000 more". I don,t think this was Churchill.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
There have been several posts running Winston Churchill down as PM. All I can say is Thank the Lord T May was not our PM during WW2.
I served in the army during Churchill,s time as PM. Believe me he was a terrific moral booster for both civilians and members of the armed forces.
Yes, he made mistakes but can anyone tell me who didn,t?
Who during WW1 when told that 15,000 men had been killed during the Battle of The Somme in one day said "Then send in 15,,000 more". I don,t think this was Churchill.

Who was the prat who advocated, cajoled and then planned the Gallipoli landings ??? - none other than Winston Churchill. How many died as a result of his mistakes???

During WW2 he robbed Wavill of some of his troops and equipment in the Western Desert in order to prop up the Greeks. What happened??? - not only did we lose all those troops and equipment, we also lost a number of ships too in evacuating the survivors onto Crete, which was also subseqently attacked and yet again lots of valuable personnel, arms and equipment were lost all because of that idiot Churchill's insistance.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 02:07 PM

My regiment was in Crete at that time and you cannot blame Churchill for their defeat. They were overcome by far superior forces. The Germans used parachute troops for the first time and cut off the withdraw of our own troops. (Note, I say withdraw as the British army never retreat, They withdraw).
We were vastly outnumbered by around three to one. As I said before can you name a war leader who never made a mistake? Oh! Yes perhaps Hitler.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

24-03-2019, 02:50 PM

My regiment was in Crete at that time and you cannot blame Churchill for their defeat. They were overcome by far superior forces. The Germans used parachute troops for the first time and cut off the withdraw of our own troops. (Note, I say withdraw as the British army never retreat, They withdraw).
We were vastly outnumbered by around three to one. As I said before can you name a war leader who never made a mistake? Oh! Yes perhaps Hitler.

Georgi Zhukov, Konstantin Rokossovski !!!
big ben
United Kingdom

24-03-2019, 03:06 PM

War, ANY WAR, is a nasty business and in every war mistakes are made but putting the blame on one leader rather than many is wrong.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

24-03-2019, 03:15 PM

War, ANY WAR, is a nasty business and in every war mistakes are made but putting the blame on one leader rather than many is wrong.

Except that we were not at war at the time, this was done as a chemical warfare against innocent civilians in Syria and Iraq in 1923. The British Government castigated Saddam Hussein for using chemical weapons against Iraqi civilians, but forgot that Churchill did the same 70 odd years previously and for that he is correctly labelled a war criminal and mass murderer. He should have been, like Bliar too, brought before a war crimes Tribunal.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Not in the case of Gallipoli. Churchill bust a gut driving that through despite widespread opposition.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
May's time as Prime Minister is about to be brought to an end by some of her own cabinet ministers.

Not before time !!!

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/03/2...d-a-all-overa/
Do you mean coup de grāce?

'Grasse' means fat.
I doubt that someone's going to lob a lump of lard at her.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 07:36 PM

For a clinically depressive piss-head (yes, both of which he was) he performed remarkably well throughout his career.

But he was never popular during his lifetime, either with the public or other politicians (even in his own party).

No British politician has ever been so shrouded in myth as Churchill, especially in the years after his death in 1965.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top