Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 08:15 PM

Re: Cabinet minister about to deliver coup de grasse

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
For a clinically depressive piss-head (yes, both of which he was) he performed remarkably well throughout his career.

But he was never popular during his lifetime, either with the public or other politicians (even in his own party).

No British politician has ever been so shrouded in myth as Churchill, especially in the years after his death in 1965.
BS! You were obviously not alive during his time in office or during WW2. During the war he was feted by the general public wherever he went. I have witnessed him at the front line where he was cheered to the rafters by the troops.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 08:37 PM

Until I discovered Smirnoff I thought that coup de grāce meant mow the lawn!
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
BS! You were obviously not alive during his time in office or during WW2. During the war he was feted by the general public wherever he went. I have witnessed him at the front line where he was cheered to the rafters by the troops.
. . . then booted out in the General Election of 1945!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Until I discovered Smirnoff I thought that coup de grāce meant mow the lawn!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 07:10 AM

BS !!! - when Churchill visited the East End of London after the Luftwaffe's night of bombing, he had the gall, while watching the people retrieve some of their belongings from the rubble, to stand on the roof of his car and shout "Britain can take it". Arroganjt, ignorant barsteward, was told by the women present what he could take and just where he could put it. I know this, because my Gran was one of those women.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 07:34 AM

So was Hitler in Germany, and not only Germany either.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 08:31 AM

. . . then booted out in the General Election of 1945!
Then re-elected in 1951
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Then re-elected in 1951
After a Labour Government had dragged the UK kicking and screaming into the twentieth-century with its progressive reforms.

Until Margaret Hilda Thatcher started to dismantle it, that is . . .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

25-03-2019, 09:59 PM

After a Labour Government had dragged the UK kicking and screaming into the twentieth-century with its progressive reforms.

Until Margaret Hilda Thatcher started to dismantle it, that is . . .
Whoo Hoo!

Now there's a starter for ten if EVER there was!

All that needs to be added is something positive about fox hunting and vivisection and the fan would REALLY be hit!

I liked and respected MT, she and her government pulled the UK back from the brink.

The AT lights a Villiger Grossformat cigar, puts a splash of Springbank 18 year old in a glass, leans back in his chair ---- and waits!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Do you mean coup de grāce?

'Grasse' means fat.
I doubt that someone's going to lob a lump of lard at her.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top