Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Re: Typewriters

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Trying to write the football results at about 20wpm
was fun.
Did you use a bug key (paddle) key Ted?
Vlad,

Yes, side swiper.

It was required for bragging reasons.

One strange thing, so many years later, is that, if I hear any Morse code, on telly or in a movie, etc, my brain still translates it without thinking - bit like some are with foreign languages.

Another aside, Deck Officers, in the MN, were required to have Morse skills - for use of Aldis signal lights, etc.

If a Royal Naval vessel went nearby, they had the right ot challenge MN ships with "who are you, where are you bound" questions.

Got called to take over, on the bridge, quite often. Was fun to take on those uppity 10 wpm RN signallers and stuff 'em with their own petards!

Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Vlad,

Yes, side swiper.

It was required for bragging reasons.

One strange thing, so many years later, is that, if I hear any Morse code, on telly or in a movie, etc, my brain still translates it without thinking - bit like some are with foreign languages.

Another aside, Deck Officers, in the MN, were required to have Morse skills - for use of Aldis signal lights, etc.

If a Royal Naval vessel went nearby, they had the right ot challenge MN ships with "who are you, where are you bound" questions.

Got called to take over, on the bridge, quite often. Was fun to take on those uppity 10 wpm RN signallers and stuff 'em with their own petards!

I could never get the hang of a paddle, I used to read at 20, and as you know send faster and like you my ears still prick up when I hear morse on the tv and still read it.
It impresses tge grandkids
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Baz, sounds like you really enjoyed your time as a printer. Certainly lots of variety. Good on ya!

Be honest now, which was most enjoyable or satisfying method - traditional or modern?
There is probably nothing to choose between the traditional and modern methods, as regards being enjoyable and satisfying, but for totally differing reasons.

The old, traditional methods were very hard, physical work involving being on my feet for the complete shift and lifting some very heavy items. This was even worse in the 'hot metal' side of things as it was exactly that 'hot', plus the aforementioned heavy work! The satisfaction side of these methods was the same as the modern one which is to see the finished product, knowing that was something I created personally.

With the modern technology it is possible to do very much more than the old methods allowed. No being on my feet for the whole shift either, it was a very sedentary occupation but mentally very much more involved. From the very early days I have never stopped learning as the technology evolved. Where in the past it was more specific in just composing the words, when computers came into it everything had to be done; the wording, logos, photographs, design and layouts of whatever the final product was to be. Knowing about resolutions of photographs, learning about colour and how that is made up was another very steep, involved learning curve. A very different ball game to my apprenticeship days, almost another apprenticeship on the new technology alone. Added to all that it was necessary to keep up with technology too, the way that developed was so fast with even more to learn as it was a complete changeover from the old, traditional methods.

In between all the above there was a recession which left me out of work for a while. I then took advantage of an EU grant which allowed me to learn about the internet and building websites. All that I had learned about the new technology was very useful when I started my own business, mainly as I could not get employed work. That kept me busy until semi-retirement after ten years, followed by full retirement when I decided I had worked for long enough!

It was all good though in that it gave me an almost unbroken 55-year working life in the printing trade. My father was right when he advised me to get a trade which would probably ensure I was never out of work. The financial rewards were good too, after really low apprentice wages that is.

My father was a tradesman, an electrician, so was advising from personal experience, something that nobody can ever teach.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanks for that excellent read Baz, oral history like that need to be passed down, I can’t remember without looking, do we have a History Forum? If not it might be worth having one? A place where members can post a bit about their working life.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
There is probably nothing to choose between the traditional and modern methods, as regards being enjoyable and satisfying, but for totally differing reasons.

The old, traditional methods were very hard, physical work involving being on my feet for the complete shift and lifting some very heavy items. This was even worse in the 'hot metal' side of things as it was exactly that 'hot', plus the aforementioned heavy work! The satisfaction side of these methods was the same as the modern one which is to see the finished product, knowing that was something I created personally.

With the modern technology it is possible to do very much more than the old methods allowed. No being on my feet for the whole shift either, it was a very sedentary occupation but mentally very much more involved. From the very early days I have never stopped learning as the technology evolved. Where in the past it was more specific in just composing the words, when computers came into it everything had to be done; the wording, logos, photographs, design and layouts of whatever the final product was to be. Knowing about resolutions of photographs, learning about colour and how that is made up was another very steep, involved learning curve. A very different ball game to my apprenticeship days, almost another apprenticeship on the new technology alone. Added to all that it was necessary to keep up with technology too, the way that developed was so fast with even more to learn as it was a complete changeover from the old, traditional methods.

In between all the above there was a recession which left me out of work for a while. I then took advantage of an EU grant which allowed me to learn about the internet and building websites. All that I had learned about the new technology was very useful when I started my own business, mainly as I could not get employed work. That kept me busy until semi-retirement after ten years, followed by full retirement when I decided I had worked for long enough!

It was all good though in that it gave me an almost unbroken 55-year working life in the printing trade. My father was right when he advised me to get a trade which would probably ensure I was never out of work. The financial rewards were good too, after really low apprentice wages that is.

My father was a tradesman, an electrician, so was advising from personal experience, something that nobody can ever teach.

What a wonderful post Baz, I really enjoyed reading that. Thank you for the insight into the printing trade. I had no idea it was so physically demanding. Reading about lifting those heavy hot plates has left me 'seeing' people living with burns or serious injuries. Hope that didn't happen
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Thanks for that excellent read Baz, oral history like that need to be passed down, I can’t remember without looking, do we have a History Forum? If not it might be worth having one? A place where members can post a bit about their working life.
Not that I'm aware of Vlad . Anyone can start a thread about anything, within reason of course
So lad, when you're ready, get on with it
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 09:54 PM

Ladies who worked in administration, yummy, especially the Touch Type, Type.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

14-07-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Ladies who worked in administration, yummy, especially the Touch Type, Type.
Oh you - bad boy! -
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:07 PM

You've either got a very dodgy spell checker or someone has moved all the keys!
Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
What was it that Eric Morcombe said? Oh yes, "I'm playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order" or words to that effect.

A good explanation.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:23 PM

Interesting post Baz. I think you were in the business a bit before me.

I had it a bit easier than that, (apart from starting of as a 'courier' delivering artwork around W1). After six months or so, I started 'on the board' as they used to call it, creating camera ready artwork. As you will know, all things were done by hand then, logos, designs and even a lot of lettering. We did have typesetting by then which I suppose is what wiped out the hot metal trade. I also got into 'mock ups' - (fake packaging for photography and TV ads) and magic marker visuals. I also used to love doing type mark ups. I liked nothing more than someone handing me a pile of photographs and reams of text so that I could design it and fit it into a brochure.

From there, I went onto the other side of things, producing colour film separations and plate making but computers kind of took over after that.

Sometimes I miss Rapidographs, 10A scalpel blades and pagination.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top