Join for free
Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 > Last »
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:33 PM

Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 4)

Now,that's fully believable Jem,coz I had much the same happen when I were butter lad. I think it was 1967,the Grand National. I was 12yo and used to earn a few bob by helping our local coalman on Saturdays. I'd help load the sacks in the yard,then go with him and assist to carry the loaded sacks [112lb in those days] which always had to go right to the rear of houses. I got A/very dirty and B/totally knackered,every Saturday...but Mum had nobody bringing in a wage except her,so it needed doing and I did it....along with bean-picking,pea-picking,tatty-riddling and any other way I could help my Mum. Anyway,on that particular Saturday,we pulled up at Jim's Café as per. The place was alive with working men as usual,the main topic being the National and who might/could/should,etc. I knew sfa about horse racing,so I sat looking through the paper while the grownups argued the odds. I was asked by one of the other coalmen who I fancied [they all thought that was a hilarious question] ...and for some reason I will never know,I chose Foinavon. Oh,what hilarity ensued-I was the subject of MUCH ribbing that morning. But I decided I had to at least seem as if I had some worth,so when Geordie [the coalman I helped out] stopped to put his bet on,I put my £1 on Foinavon to win. At the 23rd fence,the race went tits-up,when all the contenders brought each other down in a massive heap.....leaving Foinavon to step gingerly through the struggling,swearing heap and stroll to the finish - the winner! I got £101 and a LOT of respect.
But,to this day,I have NO idea what it was about Foinavon that took my eye,other than his jockey's name was John Buckingham...and I was at the time reading a book by an author named John Buckingham. Weird,eh?
I gave Mum £81 pounds-and she cried. I'll never forget that,either....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 4)

What a great true tale Pug. I remember that race, what a pile up!. I’m sure you felt great being able to help your Mother out, they were hard times back then and a lift like that really helped out a family.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 10:16 AM

Back in the 1950’s there was plenty of work to be had in the building trade in London and Paddy O’Hara was no slouch so off he went to London. He was lucky to find Digs right beside the building site where he found work, the place was clean and had a comfortable bed in it, only problem was the Landlady had an obsession with cooking beans and Paddy was getting them for breakfast dinner and tea, this was beginning to get him down and combined with the homesickness had him miserably depressed. One Monday morning he went to work and threw himself off the third floor of the building he was working on. A crowd gathered around and then a policeman arrived. “Clear the way now, does anybody know this Man?” The landlady stepped out of the crowd and said she knew him as he lodged with her. “Was he upset or depressed when he left for work today madam?” “Not in the least, as a matter of fact he was full of beans”
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-12-2015, 05:41 PM

I know it’s way beyond me but it’s way beyond everyone else too so I’m in good company. I am interested in Quantum Mechanics, I believe there are mouth watering grants available for the study of same, so I’ve been reading up on it.
In his latest book “Quantum Mechanics for Fools and Money for Old Rope for Wise Men” Professor I.M. Joe Kenu gives the basics to get you started, he says “Try to think of the smallest thing in the World, like a flea on a flea on an Atom for example, then half it, take your first thoughts away from it, then half it again, what you have left is a Quantum Mechanic” On that basis I can proceed, so I have one Quantum Mechanic? Wrong I now have six, I can’t even see one through a powerful microscope so I’ll take the man at his word and assume I have six. The next question is what do I do with the six I have and the answer, according to the good Professor is…nothing, the Quantum Mechanics will do everything they need to do on their own. Are you still with me? He explains that the six could be anywhere in the Universe but will always remain the exact distance apart, in any direction, and if you move one all the others will move at the same time regardless of where they are in the Universe, fascinating stuff, I love total confusion and can’t wait to get to the next chapter where the really hard stuff begins.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 06:06 PM

So why do the six all move together at the same time?
What bonds them?
And what happens if they are forced apart?
Sorry Jem, you seem to have created more questions than answers.
I'll stay with it as long as I can though Jem....'I'd like some MORE'
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-12-2015, 06:46 PM

Nobody knows what happens next in Quantum Mechanics Bob that's the beauty of it, you can make up any questions and answers you fancy, nobody can contradict you one way or the other, it's such a massive subject, the whole thing is in the womb and hasn't been born yet but when it is it'll rock the World, it is the future, maybe in another 100 years or so, when and if they crack this they will truly be on their way to visiting other Planets in seconds rather that light years.
BBC4 often show good programs trying, and I emphasise trying, to give us a glimpse of what it's all about.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 09:08 PM

I had a box that I kept quite a few objects that were the result of quantum mechanics. I used to just watch them play when I applied an electrical current.
Sadly they vanished when someone, I will not name names, emptied the box. The said that they did not know that the box contained some of my play things.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 09:16 PM

Yebbut you're making references to theoretic scenarios Jem.
Quantum Mechanics also states that,according to the diminishing returns regarding photonic energy,loop theory is much more credible than string theory...but either way,energy,by existing,brings about it's own eventual demise. A non-momentum event uses no energy,so by definition,any event that uses stasis as it's proprietory cause,is liable to a much,much slower rate of decay than an event that innovates directional momentum. Ergo;if you keep still,your energy will last longer.
....it's taken thousands of scientists millions of experiments and theorem discussions to figure that out!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 09:27 PM

Thanks Jem, I do watch a lot of stuff on BBC 4 when I can wrestle the remote of the missus, she just doesn't seem to grasp the importance of Quantum Mechanics.

I have this feeling that everything goes round in circles.
All the planets circle the sun, moons circle the planets, the earth rotates and the weather goes in cycles (that is confused with climate change these days) and a few topics on here go in circles too.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-12-2015, 09:48 PM

I had to make my way across town this evening to meet an old workmate for a few pints, he said he’d be in the bar of the Hibernian Hotel, when I got there reception was packed with people over for a Chess Champions Conference, when I asked the doorman what was going on he smiled and said “Nothing much, just chess nuts boasting in an open Foyer” Boom boom!

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top