Join for free
Page 11 of 31 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:54 PM

Re: I'd like to see you....

I'm really at a loss as to why you people are so bloody frightened of taking a photo of yourselves?! You paranoid individuals. What on earth is wrong with you all? Are you really that brainwashed that you think your identity will be stolen?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:56 PM

Have you not read any of the posts Floydy? It might be worth going back and reading again if you're at a loss.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
No I know Annie but it doesn't worry me. I never say anything on here that I wouldn't want strangers to see, so no worries on my part.
That's ok if you feel that way and perhaps if I were retired I'd think differently. But I am not and I certainly don't want to leave a virtual footprint that can be traced back to me.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-05-2019, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
What? A photo of ones face is weird?! You're the one who needs to get real, Annie!!
It's weird that you think it's so important.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Have you not read any of the posts Floydy? It might be worth going back and reading again if you're at a loss.
Yes of course I have read all of the posts, Annie. It's people like you that just do not see reason. I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to educate you that a photo of yourself on this forum will not infiltrate your lifestyle or steal your worldly belongings but you cannot grasp the situation.
Where is your common sense?!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 12:10 AM

I give up. You are an idiot.
Come on now Floydy, that's not nice.
Sometimes you just have to let folk decide for themselves what they feel comfortable with.
I like the variety of avatars!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

25-05-2019, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Come on now Floydy, that's not nice.
Sometimes you just have to let folk decide for themselves what they feel comfortable with.
I like the variety of avatars!
Yes I Know, Ruthio (and I apologise Annie ) but people cannot just see simple reason can they? It's NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IS IT?!
God give me strength!!
I'm off to bed just to get away for a while
Sleep on it folks - you know it makes sense!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:21 AM

I've said things on here about people I know. Because I'm not identified I can say what I think. I would not speak my mind if I were identifiable. We are too relaxed about sharing our identity in a world that is hungry for just that.
I completely understand what you are saying Annie.
One of the joys of posting incognito is that you can post about problems you might be having with family or friends without any backlash. It’s far safer and Is more respectful being incognito. You don’t have to feel any shame or guilt about feeling disloyal.Some people sign up to talk about serious stuff

But people may find you more honest and talk to you more freely if you were more personable, Annie?

I see people with photos of strange mathematical diagrams as their avatar and think to myself "I could never trust this person, he's not genuine".

It's only your face, so why on earth not let's see it?
Yes other members here might view Annie as more honest and believable posting such vulnerable stuff but the people she’s posting about might not. When I first started posting on these senior forums I stayed incognito and I posted about serious parental abuse and living in a dysfunctional family. Since these parents are in their last stages of life I needed to ask whether helping them at this point would be a good idea. It was some really tough stuff to talk about and nobody needed to feel any shame or guilt. Once I added pictures of myself , people knew who I was and anyone connected to the situation might not be too happy about it even if it’s all truthful.
Originally Posted by Lorna ->
Not too sure bout that Judd,

I reckon people who dont show a pic are much more confident

to be bolder in what they say or reply than those who show their face who may he more polite & reserved.
I agree completely. They have the freedom to do so.

I've read all the replies Ruthio. Which one? The one about stealing your face for a passport?
Quite honestly, that's being a little too paranoid. It's only a little square on an over 50s forum. Nobody out there gives a hoot about what we look like. We're not the FBI or anything.
You probably feel this way because you are a big tough man who doesn’t worry too much about being attacked in real life.
You probably have never been raped or felt the need to share any dangerously personal stories so can’t possibly relate to any reasoning that differs from your perspective.
You have no such fears to worry about and it must be so liberating. One of the greatest privileges of these forums is the ability to share painful experiences or difficult decisions that need making with others and get helpful feedback. When I shared I did.

Sharing painful freightening experiences can be an important form of therapy and closure for some.
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
There were other points too!

I think you just have to accept that it's up to each individual to tell their stories, or describe their personal details, their ailments, their love-lives, or put photos up, or not.

It's not what we might want, it's what each person is comfortable with. Innit?
EXACTLY! Some members might want to discuss the sister in law who snubs them every chance they can or the husband who is having an affair with the neighbour. ( not my situation personally ) . Adding a photo makes it much more complicated.
But it's only an avatar, your face!! You're not giving away your bank details, house and grandkids! It's nothing. Get real you guys.
It’s not only an avatar, our face. It’s about safety and security and to be honest Floydy I don’t understand why you don’t get this and you aren’t a stupid man. You’re smart. I still think the main reason is that you are a big guy who hasn’t had too many horrific experiences in your life that you’ve discussed online which you need to worry about so can’t possibly relate.
Most of us are but you can decide whether 1000s of "guests" can see your posts there.
That's not an option here.
Facebook is completely different. I’m not on Facebook so had no idea how it worked but do now.
Originally Posted by carol ->
No I know Annie but it doesn't worry me. I never say anything on here that I wouldn't want strangers to see, so no worries on my part.
And THIS RIGHT here is why you aren’t worried. You haven’t shared anything you need to worry about.
I'm really at a loss as to why you people are so bloody frightened of taking a photo of yourselves?! You paranoid individuals. What on earth is wrong with you all? Are you really that brainwashed that you think your identity will be stolen?
Yes you really ARE at a loss Floydy and I hope you do understand the reason why others feel the need to consider their safety first.

Yes of course I have read all of the posts, Annie. It's people like you that just do not see reason. I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to educate you that a photo of yourself on this forum will not infiltrate your lifestyle or steal your worldly belongings but you cannot grasp the situation.
Where is your common sense?!!
Yes I Know, Ruthio (and I apologise Annie ) but people cannot just see simple reason can they? It's NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IS IT?!
God give me strength!!
I'm off to bed just to get away for a while
Sleep on it folks - you know it makes sense!
The Mods are up late tonight lol!
Post gone already. Oh deary deary me!
In reading your posts I’ve never quite seen you lose it on something so relatively important as people’s safety and sense of comfort. No amount of sleep would suddenly make me understand your point of view and frankly I’m not sure why you’ve gotten so explosive in your responses.
Pushing your point of view most certainly isn’t going to change anyone’s mind. The content of what people post will always be FAR more important than what they look like and thank goodness for that.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes you really ARE at a loss Floydy and I hope you do understand the reason why others feel the need to consider their safety first.

In reading your posts I’ve never quite seen you lose it on something so relatively important as people’s safety and sense of comfort. No amount of sleep would suddenly make me understand your point of view and frankly I’m not sure why you’ve gotten so explosive in your responses.

Pushing your point of view most certainly isn’t going to change anyone’s mind. The content of what people post will always be FAR more important than what they look like and thank goodness for that.
Thank you for summarising an appalling collection of posts from a particular poster who subjected other forum members to, IMO, an unacceptable level of abuse.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:00 AM

Actually thinking about it I think it's true showing your face here does inhibit what you say and how much you share about your personal life. I never really thought about it in those terms before.

Too late for me now as I've had photos up for years.....maybe I should close this account and come back as someone completely different....a keyboard warrior maybe.....be afraid be very afraid

Page 11 of 31 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top