Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Re: Take Away

Originally Posted by Matchu ->
Scarborough's a bit barren in that respect - here - all those Indian & Chinese still shovelling the 1973 menu, uck. However, best fish and chips in the world although adults ask for 'scraps' which must be a cultural difference? In the South only children request 'scraps'?

Almost as sinister as requesting cod, which I don't do any longer for fear of my life.
What's wrong with cod?
At most fish and chip shops here cod is the usual offering, although haddock is also available and, in some places, other options.

I remember when I was young we always asked for scraps, although that was because they were free!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

My first proper girlfriend was a bit of a health freak, so quite often, after driving her home, I would stop and get a Chinese on the way home, sometimes at midnight. Opening all the windows on the way home would get rid of the smell.
Why are we not surprised
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:17 PM

I keep dreaming of the local chippy where I used to live. I'm drooling for their chips. They are actually a Chinese chippy, but I can't stomach Chinese food.
Best chips I've ever tasted.
I could murder fish and chips or pudding and chips right now.

But I refuse to go there with this virus knocking about. I'm suffering now with drool just talking about
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
During Lockdown more takeaways and convenience food were ordered than before.
There does seem to be a good selection of food from different Countries.
I do not eat them as they do not agree with me, mainly due to added chemicals.

Some of my friends and families only eat so called Junk Food.
They only use the Microwave and never cook.
However all their childen look healthy and are taller than their parents, so does that means that there is some nutriton and vitamins in Junk food?

Can the body actually tell the difference?

My freind who is only allowed to eat only fresh food and muesli for breakfast, goes for a bike ride early each morning, and he really looks forward to occasionally going McDonalds for a big Fry Up.

SH..Don't tell his wife!
I think the effects from junk food are more long term Azure. Lots of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, obesity and arthritis in the older generation these days.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:42 PM

I recall having to go to the hospital for tests following a heart attack. One of those was something to do with the fat in the blood. Mine was tested and there was not enough fat in the sample so I was advised to come back in an hour after going to the hospital café and ordering either a couple of large pork pies or a Full English, I opted for the Full English. That shows how quickly the effects of what we eat are absorbed into the blood stream.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What's wrong with cod?
At most fish and chip shops here cod is the usual offering, although haddock is also available and, in some places, other options.

I remember when I was young we always asked for scraps, although that was because they were free!
My father is an ex-chef and one of my nephews is currently a chef and one day we got talking about fish and chips and how much I enjoy a nice bit of battered cod, chips and mushy peas. Both my father and nephew said never chose cod because in many cases, fish and chip shops user lesser quality fish and pass it off as cod. If you know the chippy is using actual cod then by all means buy the cod but if it's a chippy that you are not familiar with then order the haddock. They said to buy haddock instead because they said haddock has a unique flavour and thus you can tell if your eating a piece of haddock.

being an ex chef and a current chef both have heard about what goes on in the food trade and they both said if you do searches online, you will find numerous press articles from all over the country where trading standards have caught out chippies and restaurants for selling cod when in fact it is something else.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
My father is an ex-chef and one of my nephews is currently a chef and one day we got talking about fish and chips and how much I enjoy a nice bit of battered cod, chips and mushy peas. Both my father and nephew said never chose cod because in many cases, fish and chip shops user lesser quality fish and pass it off as cod. If you know the chippy is using actual cod then by all means buy the cod but if it's a chippy that you are not familiar with then order the haddock. They said to buy haddock instead because they said haddock has a unique flavour and thus you can tell if your eating a piece of haddock.

being an ex chef and a current chef both have heard about what goes on in the food trade and they both said if you do searches online, you will find numerous press articles from all over the country where trading standards have caught out chippies and restaurants for selling cod when in fact it is something else.
Good point. I wasn't aware of the fact that other fish types are passed off as cod. What's more, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't know if my 'cod' was something else; my taste isn't sufficiently refined to be able to tell.

On the other hand, I usually go for haddock if it's available as I like the taste.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:47 PM

Ah! A good reminder, this topic.

I need to start going back to Effin Elsie's this very day.

She's called "Effin Elsie" because that's what she always says as she is wrapping your take away!

Effin Else?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Why are we not surprised

Probably because you know me too well.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->

I have heard this also is the case with a lot of ready meals, particularly with Cod and Scampi.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top