Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 08:05 AM

Re: London brexit talks end early too ??

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have no such binding contracts.

The one exception is my energy supplier which, should I choose to leave before my contract is up next May, will cost me £60.

It is quite possible that I could find a more competitive quote that would save me more than £60, in which case it would cost me nothing.
I am afraid that the WA is not such a contract where you can pay a fee for leaving early. And maybe it is wiser to fullfil the WA "contract" in order to be regarded as trustworthy for future agreements.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree completely. That is what I have said all along.

We leave without a deal as soon as possible. No more pointless discussions, no more messing about and achieving nothing. Just leave and stop our payments.

If the EU wants a deal thereafter, great. They meet our requirements and then 'yes'.
If they don't, 'no'. We have the rest of the world with which to trade.

A bonus: the world has now seen how difficult it has been for us to escape from their clutches. I wonder how other countries will think about that.
Well ending payments is no option as the UK signed the WA as a binding contract.

I am glad that you pointed out what difficulties the UK had to exit. When you watched parliament.tv and followed the debates in HoC you could see very well that the UK could not define what it wanted.

That difficulties and delay had nothing to do with anybody else but the UK.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 08:47 AM

Parliament couldn't define what it wanted but the people who voted Leave knew exactly what they wanted. Only reason it was difficult was because we had* "remainer" Parliament, a "remainer" speaker, a "remainer" judiciary, a "remainer" media, a "remainer" PM and a "remainer" Civil Service/ negotiating team. The "remainer" Parliament and speaker are the ones that really mattered and they have now been flushed down the toilet. Hope this helps.
Germany

10-07-2020, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
Parliament couldn't define what it wanted but the people who voted Leave knew exactly what they wanted. Only reason it was difficult was because we had* "remainer" Parliament, a "remainer" speaker, a "remainer" judiciary, a "remainer" media, a "remainer" PM and a "remainer" Civil Service/ negotiating team. The "remainer" Parliament and speaker are the ones that really mattered and they have now been flushed down the toilet. Hope this helps.
I see. Thank you for your approval. Your first post left the impression that leaving the "clutches" of the EU was difficult because the EU made it difficult.
In UKs case it was difficult due to its "remainer" attitude which anyway was nearly 50%.

Hopefully the next exit candidate finds a more obvious vote like 70% leave or more.

Activating article 50 is easy and negotiating a WA can be much simpler if you know what you want.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
I am afraid that the WA is not such a contract where you can pay a fee for leaving early. And maybe it is wiser to fullfil the WA "contract" in order to be regarded as trustworthy for future agreements.
Very true.

At the end of December, assuming there is no deal, we can leave without paying the EU's 'leaving penalty', originally set at £39billion.

There is, of course, no mention whatsoever of what we have contributed towards over the past 40 years, but then the EU is an organisation concerned only with what they can take from member states.

We're well out of the corrupt organisation, and I'm not surprised to hear of rumblings among other member states.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:38 AM

Spot on Takahashi!
But Solly and his former cohorts allready know this, but lm not sure if
his new buddy with the lots of numbers does??
This is now their only remaining hope of getting Brexi reversed if
the remainers ( who do still remain remainers) can manage to
cause a rift in the Boris government?
This they are trying to do as can be seen from the media reports
we see on TV and in the news papers on a daily basis now??
Luckily Boris has such a good majority he can force anything he
wants through the HOC which is making it difficult for them!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:48 AM

From a negotiation point of view I think the first mistake that Thereaa May made led the EU to think that the UK would be a pushover in future talks and that has impacted on their position today.

If I remember correctly the Article 50 document states the Withdrawal Agreement and future relationship, including a trade deal, should be negotiated at at the same time. Theresa May asked for this but the EU refused. They were intent on dragging it out by agreeing the WA first and then moving on to trade talks. Another example of the EU ignoring their own rules when it suits them. From that moment on they never took her seriously and we all know what happened next. The EU knew, as we all did, that her "no deal is better than a bad deal" was nothing but an empty threat.

With the change of government last December the EU failed to recognise there had been a seismic shift in the UK's negotiationg tactics. Also, it was relatively easy for the EU to keep the 27 on board during the WA talks. Trade talks are a different ball game with the individual states having different priorities.
Hi

The situation is somewhat different.

Article 50 is only 250 words long.

It refers to Article 218(3), which sets out the methodology, which is WA first and then negotiations on a Trade Deal.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
I see. Thank you for your approval. Your first post left the impression that leaving the "clutches" of the EU was difficult because the EU made it difficult.
In UKs case it was difficult due to its "remainer" attitude which anyway was nearly 50%.

Hopefully the next exit candidate finds a more obvious vote like 70% leave or more.

Activating article 50 is easy and negotiating a WA can be much simpler if you know what you want.

You are very welcome. Glad I helped to clear that up for you. The majority, who voted, chose to leave. The numbers or percentage's are irrelevant. Parliament were quite happy to agree to this before the referendum. It was only when the result was declared that some in Parliament were not happy with such a close vote for Leave.

Your last sentence is correct and I couldn't agree more. Three and a half wasted years because the UK was a mess.
Germany

10-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Spot on Takahashi!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
Good morning everybody,

interesting riddle: "new buddy with the lots of numbers". Who might that be? I have got a hunch but if that was true it would be way too childish...

Anyway interesting that you consider somebody who values Solasch's posts and does not despise him as his "buddy". Hm...

Back to Brexit. I assume you do not speak German because if you did and if you read German forums and news then you would know that Brexit does not play a considerable role any longer. "We" have gotten over it and moved on.

Brexit cannot be reversed, at least we know that. So there is no sense in wanting to reverse it. Why do you think people want to reverse it?

Even in the most unlikely event that the UK tried to apply for EU membership somewhere in the future, I very much doubt that the EU27 would agree on that.

From January 1st 2021 the UK will flourish and everything will be great, you all be completely free. I am so happy for you.

Kindly let "us" know about all the things you can do then which you couldn't do during EU membership. I am so curious.

Best regards
Takahashi
United Kingdom

10-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Spot on Takahashi!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
Yep, I think there is still a certain element in this country who do not accept the referendum result. I don't think they ever will. The must wake up every day hoping the mornings news will bring about that "I told you so" moment. Sad, but true.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top