Join for free
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 02:17 AM

Regional isolation

Because of the federal nature of Australia, we have 9 state and territorial borders on the mainland. Each state has managed the Coronavirus situation very effectively and up till now Australia has kept very tight control with just over 100 deaths in total out of a population of 25.5 million. State borders were closed to control the spread and thorough testing, strict social distancing and industry and service shutdowns all were effective. The federal government has cooperated well with the states to achieve these relatively good results. We were just starting to get going again with the opening of schools, businesses and state borders. But in the last few weeks the State of Victoria has had a big flare up. 15 border crossings have been closed between Victoria and South Australia and New South Wales. Melbourne's infection rate has gone up out of all proportion to the rest of the country. So our second largest city with over 5 million people is in virtual isolation. MY question is does this happen in your country?. ..I don't think you have county borders as such in England. I would see the "states" as more England, Wales, Scotland and "Norniron"...Have Scotland and Wales closed their borders? Are there borders at all?..I don't remember seeing one when I was there.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Re: Regional isolation

No borders here keezoy, other than as you state those of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Restrictions vary widely in all of these and seem to change differently and at different times too. This is all dependent on what the coronavirus figures are in these areas, with the appropriate measures then taking place. All very confusing when trying to find out exactly what restrictions apply in these areas. What happened recently was that there was an increase in coronavirus cases in Leicester so the whole town was back to being in lockdown. Individual premises such as doctor's surgeries, or anywhere cases are found, can also be declared out of use until further notice.

Right now today Scotland has mandatory use of face masks in shops and England is now talking about the same restrictions. Government don't seem to be able to make anything mandatory, there seems to be much dithering about making decisions and that's not good for any of the population who, somehow, have to lead something of a life while the economy tries to get working again. I reckon all this is going to take many months, maybe years before anything gets back to some form of 'normality' again. Life will never be the same again I don't believe.

The link below shows the overall situation in all areas of the UK as of the date of the last update shown on it which is 09 July 2020:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...our-nations-uk
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 08:36 AM

I'd also like to add if I may , I think we have people in this country who just dont seem to care or realise how dangerous this virus is . We now have pubs and eating places open and yep there they are all getting stupid and worse and mixing like nothings wrong . Then we have the idiots on the beaches and those rioters . Neighbours who I've seen all mixing and spreading . They just dont take on board or dont want to the dangers .

I think they should shut our counties or towns down . Also bring in the army as the police cant cope . I also do feel let down by Boris and his government . I could go on and on .

I also think Scotland has been stricter and wearing masks at this time should be an order .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Because of the federal nature of Australia, we have 9 state and territorial borders on the mainland. Each state has managed the Coronavirus situation very effectively and up till now Australia has kept very tight control with just over 100 deaths in total out of a population of 25.5 million. State borders were closed to control the spread and thorough testing, strict social distancing and industry and service shutdowns all were effective. The federal government has cooperated well with the states to achieve these relatively good results. We were just starting to get going again with the opening of schools, businesses and state borders. But in the last few weeks the State of Victoria has had a big flare up. 15 border crossings have been closed between Victoria and South Australia and New South Wales. Melbourne's infection rate has gone up out of all proportion to the rest of the country. So our second largest city with over 5 million people is in virtual isolation. MY question is does this happen in your country?. ..I don't think you have county borders as such in England. I would see the "states" as more England, Wales, Scotland and "Norniron"...Have Scotland and Wales closed their borders? Are there borders at all?..I don't remember seeing one when I was there.
The trouble with the UK and Regional Isolation keezoy is; Because of the vast network of roads linking cities and towns that are so close together as opposed to Australia, it would be virtually impossible to seal off every, or even some, counties from outside access. Yorkshire for example has at least 1000 access points by road, and several more by rail.
I would like to bet that in Australia some states have very few access points, and easily marshalled?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The trouble with the UK and Regional Isolation keezoy is; Because of the vast network of roads linking cities and towns that are so close together as opposed to Australia, it would be virtually impossible to seal off every, or even some, counties from outside access. Yorkshire for example has at least 1000 access points by road, and several more by rail.
I would like to bet that in Australia some states have very few access points, and easily marshalled?

Well yes and no. I know what you mean in terms of a huge country that is relatively ( But by no means literally) empty in the middle. The longest borders with the least road crossings are those between eastern Western Australia and South Australia and the Northern Territory respectively. But they still have large interstate highways that cross between them. They are easy to monitor but there are still lots of small roads and tracks that cross borders. The further east you get the harder it gets. WE are lucky in that we are an island with no international borders. The cooperation between the federal govt and states has been excellent - which is rare. Tasmania has the biggest advantage for obvious reasons.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
[/I][/B]

Well yes and no. I know what you mean in terms of a huge country that is relatively ( But by no means literally) empty in the middle. The longest borders with the least road crossings are those between eastern Western Australia and South Australia and the Northern Territory respectively. But they still have large interstate highways that cross between them. They are easy to monitor but there are still lots of small roads and tracks that cross borders. The further east you get the harder it gets. WE are lucky in that we are an island with no international borders. The cooperation between the federal govt and states has been excellent - which is rare. Tasmania has the biggest advantage for obvious reasons.
Here in Yorkshire, as well as the many road routes connecting towns, cities and villages, there are also cycle tracks and footpaths that connect them. It is possible to walk and cycle between some of these places. I don't think many people would cycle or walk between say Darwin, Adelaide or Sydney....Especially in your temperatures Keezoy...
keezoy
Australia

13-07-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Here in Yorkshire, as well as the many road routes connecting towns, cities and villages, there are also cycle tracks and footpaths that connect them. It is possible to walk and cycle between some of these places. I don't think many people would cycle or walk between say Darwin, Adelaide or Sydney....Especially in your temperatures Keezoy...
Ha. Well no. Although there was a guy that walked from Perth to Melbourne not too long ago. Took him a while but he did it. To get it in perspective that is London to Istanbul. But with temperatures, I've crossed by road from Perth to Sydney via Adelaide or sometimes Melbourne - which is the long way many times in my life. I have never done it in summer. If you drive across in winter it is beautiful. Although it is still very dry on the desert. It get's hotter in the south western US deserts than it does here.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top