Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 09:18 AM

Re: Coronavirus: I trust people's sense on face masks - Gove

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If I must use one, I shall make use of one of Marge's old bras, but only the left cup.
Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good idea JBR! You don't want to look like a right t*t!
Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
God love him, funny man.
I am now wondering if JBR is a 'cup half full', or a 'cup half empty' man? Although I guess
that very much depends on the numerical and alphabetical sizing of said item.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I am now wondering if JBR is a 'cup half full', or a 'cup half empty' man? Although I guess
that very much depends on the numerical and alphabetical sizing of said item.
Honestly, I was quite prepared to do that, but Marge put her foot down saying that I'd look an idiot (or a tit).

It wouldn't bother me, though. I'd do anything for a laugh.

I thought I was going to get my own way for once when Marge thought the 'mask in shop' rule had already started and we don't have any. Then she heard it doesn't apply until 24 July.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 11:53 AM

It applies in hair dressers. I had to wear a mask the whole time I was in there, 2 hours, I hate them, they don't fit properly. this is the pale blue ones, My glasses steamed up then I was trying to read my magazine, took my own & no coffee, but I did get a pure orange drink & it was one of my 5 a day. The mask got wet & the elastic covered in dye.
Yes, they have put up their prices too, by £7, don't really mind that they are one of the cheapest anyway & I have been going for many years & hardly a price rise in all that time. She did say the price would come down again when this is over.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 12:31 PM

I have seen hardly any shop workers wearing masks. They lurk about blocking aisles, hanging about and barging past.
They are mixing with folk all day. They don't sanitise hands between customers either.
It will still not be mandatory for shop workers to wear masks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53397617

Environment Secretary George Eustice told BBC Breakfast the new mandatory rule for face coverings in shops does not apply to retail staff.
So, another half-hearted effort from the government .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Shopkeepers should enforce 'no mask, no entry' rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-53389647

New measures meaning people in England must wear face coverings in shops will be "nigh-on impossible" for police to enforce, a union boss has said.

Metropolitan Police Federation chairman Ken Marsh said shopkeepers would need to "step up to the plate" and take responsibility for ensuring customers wear masks.

"They can quite easily put signs up on their doors [saying] 'no mask on, no entry, this is private property'," he said.

"That's the first point we need to get across because this cannot all be laid on the shoulders of the police yet again. The second point is it will be nigh-on impossible for enforcement because you won't have a police officer on every shop door because there isn't enough of us."

Mr Marsh added if shopkeepers called the police to ask them to enforce the rules, the person could "just walk away" as shop staff had no right to detain them.

"We'll be driving around and around London looking for people who aren't wearing masks, it's absolutely absurd," he said.
All good points .....
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 01:40 PM

I have seen hardly any shop workers wearing masks. They lurk about blocking aisles, hanging about and barging hpast.
They are mixing with folk all day. They don't sanitise hands between customers either.
This is what I’ve observed too .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-07-2020, 05:41 PM

As a customer I am expected to wear a face covering, why aren't those who work in a shop expected to do the same?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409

It won't be compulsory for shop workers in England to wear a face covering because "it won't always be right for every setting in a retail environment", according to government minister George Eustice.

However, Mr Eustice says that many workers already wear coverings or are protected by a screen.

He argues that retailers "have been making the right judgements".
One rule for the buyers and none for the sellers seems contradictory .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Michael Gove seen without mask in Pret despite calling it ‘basic good manners’

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/14/micha...8/?ito=cbshare

The minister for the Cabinet Office was spotted not wearing a mask in a Westminster branch of the lunch chain on Monday, the day after No 10 announced it would be made compulsory to wear one from July 24.
So, he's not bothered about the forthcoming law, getting some practice in and setting a good example .....

Of course not .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
It will still not be mandatory for shop workers to wear masks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53397617

Environment Secretary George Eustice told BBC Breakfast the new mandatory rule for face coverings in shops does not apply to retail staff.

So, another half-hearted effort from the government .....

As it will be mandatory for us to wear face masks when in a shop, we bought 5 (non renewable) today: 4 for Marge and 1 for me, as I intend to keep wearing the same one repeatedly on the grounds that I feel they are not necessary!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-07-2020, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
I agree, we should have been wearing them at the start, they're so uncomfortable , specs steam up, but if they protect us , it's worth it
I keep having to put my glasses on and off again.
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Glasses should be over the top of the mask and the nose clip needs to be moulded to the nose so it doesn't leach air upwards. You're meant to pinch the nose clip and then pull the mask downwards. Then you put the glasses on.

The ones that fold vertically are better in that respect. Moulded ones are the most difficult to use with glasses.

What we need now is mask fitters just like you have a bra fitting service in some shops. But of course you can't do it in a socially distanced way. Perhaps we will soon have our own personal robot to do all these things...
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I found that out myself Annie.
Everytime I breathed out, my glasses steamed up but then I found it was because I hadn't closed the wire top close enough.
From "Which?":

A tip doing the rounds at The Royal College of Surgeons is to wash your glasses in soapy water, covering the whole lens and either letting them air-dry or gently drying them off with a microfibre cloth.

This leaves a thin surfactant layer on the lens, which should help to prevent the lens from fogging up, although it doesn’t work on all lens types.

You can also try folding a tissue and placing it across the bridge of your nose inside the mask to absorb the air coming up.
I'll try it tomorrow .....

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top