Join for free
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 07:12 AM

Gotcha days...

Our dogs have birthdays of course but because they have all been rescues they have gotcha days, the day we adopted them and they are the days we remember.
On 15 oct 2001 I was broken into...
My old dog had died in the July and we hadnt really come round to the idea of a new dog yet, but OH said 'thats it tomorrow we go to the rescue and you get a new dog'

He was working away a lot of the time leaving me and my 15 yr old daughter alone at home.

So off we went the following morning and the choice was simple there were three dogs in the rescue, a JRT who had sat for 3 day with his dead owner. An elderly yorkie who needed a quite place, and a very young hyper Border collie.

We asked about the BC and were told he had been seized by police on an animal welfare raid.
An elderly couple in a farming community had him, he had been locked up in a shed without food or water and was close to death when found.
His injuries included being shot with an air rifle in his leg his ear and a glancing shot in his eye and he had had broken ribs on one side ( consistent with a kick)
At the time we saw him he had just come out of 3 weeks in the animal hospital. He weighed half what a BC should.

We took him home.
He was easily exhausted, crazy for water so we had to ration him or else he drank until he was sick , he licked condense off grass and bottles or windows.. He gobbled his food so we had to sort that out too, but he quickly settled into a routine although he was scared of every noise and shadow at first.
After the first year even the vet was surprised at how well he had recovered and he became my rock,he was kind and gentle.
I know BC's stare but Oscar had a way of looking into you not at you he smelled of milk and cookies like a baby does.
It broke my heart when we lost him in 2012..

Today I think of him and the brilliant times we had, I miss him by my side, keeping my feet warm in the evenings and just knowing that while he was with me I felt invincible.

He was the best birthday I ever had and I will never forget his gotcha day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTWpvfw3TFs
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Re: Gotcha days...

Fantastic Cass with our rescues we used to have one birthday date for all of them, always middle of September when we always had a holiday so they always had a day at the beach and a picnic lunch which with out fail they all loved.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 10:13 AM

That is a lovely story Cass. My dogs too have always had birthdays, and why not? I´ve loved all my dogs but certain ones have always been that little bit special.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Fantastic Cass with our rescues we used to have one birthday date for all of them, always middle of September when we always had a holiday so they always had a day at the beach and a picnic lunch which with out fail they all loved.
What a lovely idea Julie..
Cass
NL

16-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
That is a lovely story Cass. My dogs too have always had birthdays, and why not? I´ve loved all my dogs but certain ones have always been that little bit special.
I know...There are always the ones that just grab that extra bit of your heart..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 12:17 PM

I will have to go and give Chloe a cuddle after watching that video
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 01:25 PM

Cass, what a lovely lovely video, beautiful dogs, what a grand home they had/have.
I actually had a lump in my throat watching it, remembering the loss of my own Springer spaniel,
Cass
NL

16-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Of course I made a similar video for Remy..
My forever puppy who never grew up because of his brain damage,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp617HWO7Ek

So now there are two tunes I cant listen to because they remind too much of my boys.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 07:46 PM

Cass, just fabulous, loved the music on both videos so fitting and I kid you not both brought tears to my eyes, I'm such a softy.
Dare I say I much prefer animals to humans.

I only have the old video of my Elle really should get someone to make a disc of it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 11:19 PM

Absolutely lovely Cass. Wonderful mementoes for you.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top