Join for free
Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 07:54 PM

Re: Genealogy

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I compiled a little book about mine ... did it in Word, ran it through an online converter into Mobi format and have it on my Kindle now.
It's a bit crappy and lacks polish ... I might get around to trying my hand at a decent one ....one day.
Go for it, Morti, your family is so interesting!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
You will be able to scan them, and on post on your tree Tabby.
I did that with my finds.
No, I won't do that SP - my tree is a 'public' one so I am very guarded about what goes on there.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No, I won't do that SP - my tree is a 'public' one so I am very guarded about what goes on there.
Oh yes, I remember now. The public cannot view living members bits, that is where I put my stories and other bits of info. Only those invited can view that.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 08:08 PM

Now there is an idea!
It must be lovely to have the originals though ... holding them and imagining who wrote them. A bit of real history which surpasses anything on a computer search.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

09-10-2018, 07:34 AM

It must be lovely to have the originals though ... holding them and imagining who wrote them. A bit of real history which surpasses anything on a computer search.
It is. Morti, but they are so fragile - I don't think ancient newspapers were as strongly made as modern ones. There are three cuttings fastened together with a dressmaker's pin - but it is so rusty I dare not even try to remove it. Will take them to the City Archivist and ask for his help.

The mass cards have already yielded gold - have found my Great, Great, Grandparents! Also, a sad one, a young girl who died when just 14yrs. From her name and photo it is obvious she is related - but have not yet established where she fits in - guess what I am going to be doing today!!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 08:39 AM

I spend at least an hour per day poring over my records of family history,, discovering & re-discovering events and people.

I am delighted to see that my offspring have got the bug cos they are more organised than I am.
For my recent 70th birthday, they produced Volume One of my (their) family archive.

Good to see folks sharing in here..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

09-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I spend at least an hour per day poring over my records of family history,, discovering & re-discovering events and people.

I am delighted to see that my offspring have got the bug cos they are more organised than I am.
For my recent 70th birthday, they produced Volume One of my (their) family archive.

Good to see folks sharing in here..
What a wonderful gift, RJ, none of the rest of my family are remotely interested. I find it fascinating, frustrating and completely addictive!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Absolutely agree.

Sad to say many people have no such regard for ephemera & photos (B/W mainly).
My aunt died recently at the age of 96 & within a week of her passing, her daughter skipped about 20 of her photo albums heartlessly. I was just too slow to save them.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:40 PM

It is. Morti, but they are so fragile - I don't think ancient newspapers were as strongly made as modern ones. There are three cuttings fastened together with a dressmaker's pin - but it is so rusty I dare not even try to remove it. Will take them to the City Archivist and ask for his help.

The mass cards have already yielded gold - have found my Great, Great, Grandparents! Also, a sad one, a young girl who died when just 14yrs. From her name and photo it is obvious she is related - but have not yet established where she fits in - guess what I am going to be doing today!!
You've found your Great, great grandparents ... oh you must be so thrilled. I'd say it was a massive find.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

09-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Absolutely agree.

Sad to say many people have no such regard for ephemera & photos (B/W mainly).
My aunt died recently at the age of 96 & within a week of her passing, her daughter skipped about 20 of her photo albums heartlessly. I was just too slow to save them.
It makes you mad doesn't it .... family history destroyed, especially after someone has taken the trouble to preserve it, to carefully hand down ... and to have that happen.

My brother was the same. I tried to rescue old medals ..... all gone. but thankfully did manage to badger, heckle and prise out of his tightfisted mean hands an A2 size portrait of my paternal grandfather ... the only picture I have of him. I treasure it. He died before I was born. He even died before my dad was born.

Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top