Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Phone line and broadband

Morning all

We have a BT phone but it is never used anymore except to call my Auntie in America so it seems a waste to be paying the line rental fee.

I want to do away with it as I can call my Auntie on messenger but my question is can we still have broadband without a BT phone line?

I.m trying to cut back on things to save money and I don't want to be paying for something I don't need

Thanks in advance for your responses
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:21 AM

Re: Phone line and broadband

Do you have a mobile as an alternate means of making calls? and are there any " black spots" in your area where the mobile can't pick up a signal?

As for having the line for data only best ask BT
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Do you have a mobile as an alternate means of making calls? and are there any " black spots" in your area where the mobile can't pick up a signal?

As for having the line for data only best ask BT
Yes I do have a mobile.

I thought I.d ask here before ringing BT and then keeping me hanging on.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 10:35 AM

I can't speak for BT but I have NBN fibre and I don't have a phone line just Broadband.

I have my old phone number as a VOIP service but I never answer it any more. I understand that all landlines will eventually be VOIP eventually but land lines are disappearing as mobile phones are so much cheaper.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Morning all

I want to do away with it as I can call my Auntie on messenger but my question is can we still have broadband without a BT phone line?
I'm glad you asked this ... I wouldn't mind knowing too.
I'm going to sound really thick ...but ...
Can you have broadband from say, Virgin ... coming through your landline without having to pay BT any line rental?
I've been with BT for 12 years and am wondering whether to switch provider.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'm glad you asked this ... I wouldn't mind knowing too.
I'm going to sound really thick ...but ...
Can you have broadband from say, Virgin ... coming through your landline without having to pay BT any line rental?
I've been with BT for 12 years and am wondering whether to switch provider.
Hi

I switched from BT to EE for landline and broadband, saved a mint.

They do it all remote, no hassle.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Morning all

We have a BT phone but it is never used anymore except to call my Auntie in America so it seems a waste to be paying the line rental fee.

I.m trying to cut back on things to save money and I don't want to be paying for something I don't need

Thanks in advance for your responses
Is your BB supplied via your telephone line? If that's the case I'm afraid you're stuck with it. If you're on a NTL (Virgin Media) fibre connection for your BB so much the better, ring BT and tell them to get stuffed or more politely ask them to disconnect their line.

If you have a mobile phone with a decent data allowance you can use WhatsApp to call your aunt for free via (as some have mentioned) the VoIP feature.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

13-10-2018, 01:29 PM

I was astounded at my bill being £85 to BT which prompted me to want to leave them. We've rung Plus Net and they quoted somewhere around £40 so we rang BT and told them we want to cancel with them and guess what, they've matched the deal! Rather in my pocket than theirs!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 01:30 PM

I was astounded at my bill being £85 to BT which prompted me to want to leave them. We've rung Plus Net and they quoted somewhere around £40 so we rang BT and told them we want to cancel with them and guess what, they've matched the deal! Rather in my pocket than theirs!
Typical!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

13-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Is your BB supplied via your telephone line? If that's the case I'm afraid you're stuck with it. If you're on a NTL (Virgin Media) fibre connection for your BB so much the better, ring BT and tell them to get stuffed or more politely ask them to disconnect their line.

If you have a mobile phone with a decent data allowance you can use WhatsApp to call your aunt for free via (as some have mentioned) the VoIP feature.
what is VoIP

s'ok, just looked it up, voice over internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top