Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 08:40 PM

A new label writer

We just bought a Brother VC-500W zero ink label printer from 'Create and Craft' (a television channel for those interested in crafts). The labels are printed using a thermal process. That's not new for us because we have been using a Dymo LabelWriter for years. Not a hand-held type but one that connects to the computer via a USB cable.

I know it's possible to make labels in Word or an art/editing program but I find it much easier and quicker printing single or multiple labels using a dedicated machine. Nothing to set up and always ready to print.

The difference between the Dymo LabelWriter and the new Brother label printer is that the Brother prints labels thermally in full colour (no ink necessary). Mrs Mart makes cards for Birthdays, Christmas etc and the styled coloured address labels will add a nice touch to the envelopes.

The instructions on how to use the Brother VC-500W and accompanying software could be more comprehensive but once learned, it is a handy machine to have, especially for 'crafters' who want to create self-adhesive fancy labels.

The labels standing in front of the printer are 25mm high (about an inch). The text is large enough to be easily read. Designs on the labels can be anything the imagination can conjure up. Labels can be just about any length, made like a tape really. The machine cuts the tape at the end of the design.

Inserted images are sized by the software that comes with the printer. Further resizing and positioning can be done once the images have been imported. Lots of clipart is included with the program but it isn't photographic quality. The images and backgound used in the labels shown below are some that were imported into the program.

The blurred part in the screenshot is the address book. Worth mentioning is that addresses or any text can be written on the labels but an entire address book can't be created within the program. It can import and use an address book created in Excel (.xls) format however.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 09:59 PM

Re: A new label writer

How much did it cost? I have terrible trouble getting a template correct for doing labels in Word.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 10:41 PM

That looks great - might have to invest in one of those. How many addresses can it remember? Are replacement labels readily available?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
How much did it cost? I have terrible trouble getting a template correct for doing labels in Word.
It cost £153 but that was with £17 off because Mrs Mart is a member of the 'Create and Craft Club'. Not a cheap item but crafts are a major interest for her, so worth the cost. The label rolls cost about £23. They come in varying widths and are 5 metres long. Labels are cut by the machine according to factors such as the length of your design and font size. There is no ink used because of the thermal printing method. Not inexpensive labelling but good results in colour with a semi-gloss finish.

If a plain B&W labels would be preferable, the Dymo thermal label printers are very good. The reason we got one was because it is so much easier to use a machine for reeling off single or multiple labels than it is to use Word or similar with a sheet of label paper. I never regretted buying the Dymo. It will still be used for plain label printing.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That looks great - might have to invest in one of those. How many addresses can it remember? Are replacement labels readily available?
Setting up the address book was difficult. It isn't possible to set up and keep an address book from within the program. However, I already had an address book that I set up in the Dymo LabelWriter software. I was able to export this to a CSV file but the Brother VC-500W printer didn't work very well with that. I had to open the file up in Microsoft Excel and convert it to an XLS file. This could then be used successfully as the address book. There are options within the provided Brother software to do this. It is then possible to print single or multiple labels by selecting single or multiple addresses. There would be no limit to the number of addresses it can reference for printing.

If you already have another program on your computer that uses a list of addresses, it should be possible to export those from within the program as a CSV file. If you have that and an office program, it should be possible to do what I did. Failing that, if you have Excel or similar, you could write addresses into a new address book and save it as an XLS file that the Brother software can use. Addresses can also just be typed directly onto your label design.

A few places (including Amazon) supply replacement cartridges for the printer. They look to be readily available.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
You can download Word templates from Avery they work perfectly. Just about every label maker templates are based on Avery sizes you just need to know the Avery number.

Personally I use the L7160 labels but there are an enormous range of types and sizes; there used to be different letter designation for Inkjet but now they seem to be all laser (L) which is fine for inkjet.

https://www.averyproducts.com.au/sof...microsoft-word
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

23-10-2018, 09:27 AM

I still use sheets of labels if many of the same kind are needed. For instance, small return address labels for the backs of envelopes. I drew a template in CorelDraw for those but have also used Avery templates in the past.

One trouble I used to have when printing individual labels was that, when some of the labels in the sheet had been already used and peeled off, it was then necessary to find the next label in the sheet for printing on. This might have been somewhere in the middle of it. I had a label program to help with this but even so, the printer wouldn't always find the exact place in the sheet to print the address.

With the Dymo ..and now the new Brother printer as well, it's a case of selecting the address (or addresses) in the list and clicking 'Print'. It just makes printing labels a fair bit easier.

The Dymo LabelWriter:

The program:

Edit: Image needed adjustment.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Upthecreek
Without-a-Paddle

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:04 AM

I know that person!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I still use sheets of labels if many of the same kind are needed. For instance, small return address labels for the backs of envelopes. I drew a template in CorelDraw for those but have also used Avery templates in the past.
I just use the Avery Template then use the built in Word mail merge wizard to add the data base (invariably an Excel file):

Originally Posted by mart ->
One trouble I used to have when printing individual labels was that, when some of the labels in the sheet had been already used and peeled off, it was then necessary to find the next label in the sheet for printing on.
When I have left over or blank labels and I want to print the odd labels to use up the remainder I just use a blank template and type or cut and paste in the appropriate rectangle(s). Just have to make sure I put the label sheet the right way up into the laser printer

Avery label templates are just tables really.

MS Publisher has the facility built in if you want decorative labels but anything Publisher can do you can do in Word, it just takes a bit longer.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.10.23_22h30m31s_001_.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	7686  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top