Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 04:58 PM

System Restore Off again?

I raised a topic, about this, some time ago after I found that my System Restore facility (W10) had been turned off (presumably by a W10 Update).

It's happened again!

Some readers found their's to have been turned off, also.

If so, you might want to set it back on to ensure that you get the security it provides.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 05:15 PM

Re: System Restore Off again?

If you try system restore in Windows 10 it will mess up your computer. I know because I tried it and had to rebuild everything such as printer - editing suites-anti virus program etc etc.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=restor...&wsso=Moderate

Method 1 of 3: Creating a restore point via Control Panel:

In the Start menu search box, type Create a restore point and press Enter key to open System Properties dialog. Alternatively, you can type Sysdm.cpl...
Once System Properties is launched, under System Protection tab, you should see Create button.If the Create button is greyed out, under Protection...
Under System Protection tab, click Create button, enter a name or description for your new restore point, and then click Create button again to create...

hope this helps
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 05:20 PM

I am so glad I didn't downgrade to Windows 10. It seems there are nothing but problems. Who are the dickheads writing these updates?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I raised a topic, about this, some time ago after I found that my System Restore facility (W10) had been turned off (presumably by a W10 Update).

It's happened again!

Some readers found their's to have been turned off, also.

If so, you might want to set it back on to ensure that you get the security it provides.
Just checked mine - System Protection is ON for Drive C .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 06:03 PM

I've never tried using System Restore on Windows 10. I turn it off because of preferring to make a complete system image with both Windows' own system imaging function and 'EasUS ToDo'.

Should the need arise, I'd use a system image to restore a faulty system to health. There's no need to keep System Restore turned on if doing that.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've never tried using System Restore on Windows 10. I turn it off because of preferring to make a complete system image with both Windows' own system imaging function and 'EasUS ToDo'.

Should the need arise, I'd use a system image to restore a faulty system to health. There's no need to keep System Restore turned on if doing that.
What if your system image is a week old ..... or even a day .....

I have a Macrium Reflect backup system, but I still use system checkpointing before major system changes .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

It's happened again!
The fundamental problem with Windows 10. It allows Microsoft to own and control your computer. They can do whatever they like, whenever they like. That's the purpose of the Win 10 operating system.

Windows 7 wasn't like that. It still left ultimate control with the user who could disable all windows updates if they chose and lock their machine down.

This is why Microsoft wanted everyone on Win 10.

This is why Microsoft undertook the despicable route they did to auto upgrade everyone, giving them almost no choice but to upgrade unless they were very computer savvy and could disable the updates that contained the auto upgrade technology.

There's no point whining about these things. They are going to get worse imho.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
What if your system image is a week old ..... or even a day .....
About the only items that will have changed are a few photos and created files of one sort or another. These are stored on another drive as well as the C: drive. Maybe a bit of updating and replacing would need doing but not too much.

I don't need to do much in the way of restoring and probably wouldn't need to use System Restore (if it was turned on). The computer rarely gives trouble I'm please to say.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

17-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
About the only items that will have changed are a few photos and created files of one sort or another. These are stored on another drive as well as the C: drive. Maybe a bit of updating and replacing would need doing but not too much.
Over the course of a day I update hundreds of files, over the course of a week, thousands. Naturally, they are all periodically (most, nowadays, dynamically) backed up but I prefer not to have to restore GB of data when all I want to do is roll-back, i.e. undo what I've just done. This is probably due to my experience on mainframe systems when restores and roll-forwards took hours and the ramifications lasted for days (weeks on early mainframes) ...... So, whenever I could, I rolled back .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

17-11-2018, 09:45 PM

We all have our ways and preferences that suit us best and get by one way or another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top