Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 06:25 PM

new battery

had our battery replaced today, the stop/start came up with system error

Nissan were even cheaper than Halfords using the correct battery. Seems that if a battery is not fully charged one gets this warning and our battery was 4 years old. Car started ok but this was first sign that it was starting to fail.

one can't even change the car battery now yourself as the whole system has to be reset on diagnostic equipment. Just got to see if that was the problem as suggested on a forum I belong to.

with winter around the corner a flat battery is a no no
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Re: new battery

What on Earth are you driving now?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 06:49 PM

4 years seems a very short life for a car battery these days. I remember many years ago batteries had a short life with constant topping up with distilled water but modern batteries have a much longer life.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
What on Earth are you driving now?
Nissan Xtrail Tekna (top of range model), bought new.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
4 years seems a very short life for a car battery these days. I remember many years ago batteries had a short life with constant topping up with distilled water but modern batteries have a much longer life.
No they don't, quite the opposite in fact.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
had our battery replaced today, the stop/start came up with system error

Nissan were even cheaper than Halfords using the correct battery. Seems that if a battery is not fully charged one gets this warning and our battery was 4 years old. Car started ok but this was first sign that it was starting to fail.

one can't even change the car battery now yourself as the whole system has to be reset on diagnostic equipment. Just got to see if that was the problem as suggested on a forum I belong to.

with winter around the corner a flat battery is a no no
Had a similar problem. The radio and the clock didn't work. Well, the clock does display time, just the wrong time. It is satellite updated so it was always and correct to the second. updated.

Everything else worked fine including the satnav. No data lost.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Stop/start cars are rubbish. It's only natural that the battery is going to take a beating. Sometimes this save the planet nonsense just goes too far....

My Nissan Qashkai is eight years old and the battery is still in great condition.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 09:27 AM

It depends on how you drive, if you do regular short journeys then the battery will not be able to fully charge, and this will shorten its lifespan, so will using a lot of the cars electrical systems, I have had three cars with stop start, and have not replaced a battery so far, although I did buy one of those smart battery chargers and topped it up regularly as I do a lot of short trips
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Any decent mechanic will tell you that the hardest thing your car has to do is to start....
Switching off the engine while pausing at traffic lights etc will actually use more fuel than leaving it running. Especially diesels. You are allowing the engine to cool slightly and all the oil to settle into the sump, big ends and gearbox will temporarily be without oil for the second it takes the pump to circulate the oil.

It doesn't save you money, the small amount that you save will have been decreased three fold if you have to buy a new battery before it's time. And it won't save the planet either...
What are those designers thinking of....Oh! wait a minute, they are selling vehicles on the strength of saving the planet, and they will be making more money out of you when you have to replace parts before their time....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-11-2018, 11:24 AM

try getting a top of range car that doesn't have stop/start of any make. They all have it now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top