Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 12:17 PM

Re: Music Triple-header #1: Pink Floyd vs. Genesis vs. Yes

I know, I'm weird!
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Good thread Floyd

I like all three only ever saw Genesis live out of the three

YES great band most could sight read and Rick Wakeman well whats to say not a bad golfer either Bill Burford also played with Fripp in King Crimson

PF don't think a day goes by when I don't play something although Waters banging on about my father died in the war gets on my tits
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 02:00 PM

I happen to appreciate all three of these bands. Yes I saw three times, Pink Floyd once and I can’t remember if I saw Genesis or not but did see Peter Garbriel who is my favourite male vocalist of all time.

Some things they definitely have in common besides being extraordinary musicians are the length of their songs, plenty of key changes and elaborate story telling abilities that one could get lost in.

I could definitely discuss these three bands endlessly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 05:56 PM

Great replies all, thanks! I'm surprised a thread like this took off like it has, so that paves the way for more I guess.

Without going into detail as there's not a lot of point me throwing out histories of these three classic rock bands, their legendary status speaks for themselves.

I've only seen Yes out of the three of them. Even my all-time favourites Pink Floyd I never got the chance to see, although I did partly make up for it this year when I saw Roger Waters live. I'm with Vaniy though when he mentioned that Waters should have gotten over his dad's passing by now. That tends to grate a little too much in his songwriting.
But so many wonderful pieces of music and 'Dark Side' is always astounding. Quite simply it's 43 minutes of life, start to end. The Barrett years were patchy but had some wonderfully psychedelic moments, then the rather noodly early progressive segment 1969-1972 whereby the band were really finding their feet, mostly through soundtrack music and the glorious 'Echoes'.
Then the big era, the 1970's four-piece of absolute classics: Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. All entirely different. Roger's underrated but impeccably performed The Final Cut and the inevitable split.
Against the grain, Gilmour and Mason returning with two class albums and even a 'comeback' of sorts with The Endless River in 2014 - one of the most beautiful instrumental albums ever. I can't get enough of the band.
Week after next I'll be seeing The Australian Pink Floyd yet again, this time in my home city and can't wait. As you can see from this pic, my appreciation of Pink Floyd goes quite a long way:

Genesis, you know the score. Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Steve Hackett. Wonderfully madcap and proggy in the Gabriel years, monster stadium-crushing in the later Collins years. I won't go on, history speaks for itself. Lovely quote from Tony Banks where he said of Collins: "We wanted him to do well...but not that well.

Then the masterclass of Yes. So many line-up changes but each member a classical rock virtuoso in his own right. Jon Anderson's voice just gets even better as he ages - that mystical, choirboy he is. The band are still going strong, albeit in two different forms once more with Anderson, Rick Wakeman and 80's-era Trevor Rabin on tour with their own version. Steve Howe's Yes carrying on after the passing of founder member Chris Squire a couple of years ago.

Sorry, tried to keep things brief.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 09:14 PM

Strange days ... popular music was continually trying to do "progressive", snobbery was rife, big gigs were solemn affairs with fans taking it all far too seriously for their own good.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 09:54 PM

I find it almost impossible to separate Pink Floyd and Yes but I suppose the former just gets it. It is a lasting sorrow that I never and, now, never will see either. Although I have said before if I heard the right sequence of classic Yes songs live I am not sure my already battered heart could stand it. Pink Floyd gets it because there are less songs I don't like and I find some of albums powerfully moving in a way I don't with Yes.
Pink Floyd and Genesis share the loss of a major creative force that changed their sound forever. Unfortunately for Genesis it was in a very inferior direction (to my ears) while PF effectively became another group altogether musically.
For many years I could abide any Genesis music although recently I have grown to like the Peter Gabriel stuff. Detest Phil Collins though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 11:18 PM

Progressive Rock, and mathematics go hand in hand. it is a bit spurious to link groups by a vague title like Prog Rock, the three groups chosen in this example are as different as chalk and cheese, Floyd sit outside that banner Imo.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 11:23 PM

I love clever lyrics, but, for a piece of music is to stand, in its own right, the lyrics have to be ignored, if the music alone makes you imagine the lyrics, that is something special.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Do you want to start a thread on it mate, but prefix it Triple header #2, etc? We should separate these threads from each other I think
Good choices actually. Even though The Kinks were of a previous generation, these three bands were heavily to the fore on 'singwriting'. I think that would make a good thread.
I can't be bothered to be honest.I've seen the hard work you've put in on some threads and got buggerall response.Anyway it's a bit hot here at the moment, 35C.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I can't be bothered to be honest.I've seen the hard work you've put in on some threads and got buggerall response.Anyway it's a bit hot here at the moment, 35C.
Okay mate. This one's pretty well attended though

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top