Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Music & Musical Instruments

Music & Musical Instruments

I’ve had an alto 1953 SML saxophone since 1973. It’s been overhauled a few times but considering its age, is in good shape.

Unfortunately I stopped playing it for a while and it got stored in our , then , musty basement. I’ve since aired it out, cleaned it up , bought a new case for it and got it to playable condition but I’m still going to take it in after the New Year for a professional technician to look at and fix whatever I couldn’t.

Meanwhile I have always been keenly interested in the soprano saxophone so I bought a second hand one that’s in beautiful condition. It may need a few pads replaced but otherwise has a beautiful tone.

What surprised me the most was how easy it was to adapt to playing the soprano from playing the alto. Everyone said it’s the hardest of the saxophones to play in pitch but I’ve found it to be a true pleasure right from the start. It’s most enjoyable.

The fingering is almost the same as the alto. It’s just in a different key and different register. The alto is in the key of Eb and the soprano is in the key of Bb so although I can still play Eb music, it won’t be in the same key to the ear.

There’s a beautiful acoustic guitar here that I bought for my husband but I he doesn’t play it and neither do I.

I have a Roland keyboard with an amp and microphone since I enjoy singing the most but I don’t currently have it set up but am going to.

Do any of you play saxophone or any other musical instrument?

Do you read music or play by ear?

What type of music do you like to play?

Have you ever played professionally?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 11:24 PM

Re: Music & Musical Instruments

I wish I could.I envy you your talent Bratti.
My mum could play the piano from music and by ear.She liked stuff from the musicals mostly.
Sadly I didn't inherit any of it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 02:47 AM

In my youth, I attempted guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin, cello, harmonium, autoharp and harmonica - I wasn't very good on any of them but I stuck with, and became competent on, guitar and banjo.

I think my performances gave me more pleasure than they gave others .....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
My mum could play the piano from music and by ear.She liked stuff from the musicals mostly.
Originally Posted by Psmith ->
My dad plays piano but he can’t play by ear at all. He reads music and we all learned to read music. I can site read music as long as it’s not in too complicated a key signature.
I like a variety of music from old big band jazz like ‘Glen Miller ’ to Pink Floyd to Imagine Dragons.

I played professionally from late teens to my early ‘30’s. We did some dances where I sang also and I enjoyed those the best since I prefer singing most times.
Here was a dance we performed at.
It was a lot of fun.

Everyone in our family was musical except for my mom. She was and still is completely tone deaf.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

12-12-2018, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
In my youth, I attempted guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin, cello, harmonium, autoharp and harmonica - I wasn't very good on any of them but I stuck with, and became competent on, guitar and banjo.

I think my performances gave me more pleasure than they gave others .....
Oh my. That’s quite a selection of musical instruments Omah.
I LOVE the cello. Could you explain the harmonium and autoharp? I’m not familiar with them.

My brother played guitar, bass, ukelele, banjo.

At least you got enjoyment from it?
Did you play with anyone else? Any bands you were on?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Could you explain the harmonium and autoharp? I’m not familiar with them.
The harmonium (aka pump-organ) - mine was Victorian, like this:

My autoharp was a 1950's model, like this:

I was a member of several local bands, mostly because I not only possessed instruments but, more importantly, I had a van (like the one below) to transport everyone and their paraphernalia to any "engagement" that we might be lucky enough to secure .....

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

12-12-2018, 05:36 AM

Oh wow! Of course; the pump organ. I remember those. They were so dramatic but that harp thing is awesome. I would love to have learned to play that BUT you were super cool with the Van. You were the man with the van. We all wanted someone like you.

Groovy man.
That was a blast to the past for sure.
Ok I need to sleep.
Bye.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

12-12-2018, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the photos.
They are priceless.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 11:27 AM

Quite beautiful most musical instruments are too lovely to hide away they need a perch in your home to be admired as pieces of art.

We've been suffering from child learning to play the violin. It's an exquisite form of torture, I'd recommend it as a punishment for some terrible criminals ! We don't seem to be making much progress either which is becoming a little distressing to the neighbours. So much so the last few practice sessions were done on the common, I felt sorry for the wildlife. She gets the violin out and all the dogs run to hide under the bed !
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

12-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Quite beautiful most musical instruments are too lovely to hide away they need a perch in your home to be admired as pieces of art.

We've been suffering from child learning to play the violin. It's an exquisite form of torture, I'd recommend it as a punishment for some terrible criminals ! We don't seem to be making much progress either which is becoming a little distressing to the neighbours. So much so the last few practice sessions were done on the common, I felt sorry for the wildlife. She gets the violin out and all the dogs run to hide under the bed !
Haha Julie. I’m sure all felt the same when I was first learning. How long have you been suffering this way?
Or how long has she been learning?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top