Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
tony58
London, UK
tony58 is male  tony58 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 09:28 PM

Re: Music & Musical Instruments

I play bass guitar and lead guitar and a little bit of violin. I play by ear, can read music but very slowly. Prefer the rockier style of music although I play in a covers band doing anything from the 60s onwards. Never played professionally but would have liked to. I also sing in our band. Been with the band over 20 years now. I just love playing live..
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
This one, I think:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-s...835731296?mt=8
That’s it. Thanks so much Omah
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 03:22 PM

I play guitar (mostly) and dabble with bass, keyboard and mandolin. I've got quite a collection of guitars - four six string acoustics, a classical guitar, a 12 string jumbo, a resonator, and two electric guitars (a strat copy and a Gibson SG copy). I've also got a mandolin and a Yamaha keyboard, a couple of amplifiers and a little digital recording studio. I play mostly folk rock stuff - ranging from gentle acoustic instrumental stuff like this - https://soundcloud.com/user-11840510...44/petals-song
via classic songs like this Leonard Cohen number - https://soundcloud.com/user-11840510...he-end-of-love
to raucous blues like this - https://soundcloud.com/user-11840510...re-born-to-die
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 04:07 PM

I have BIAB but it's getting very dated for people like me, who prefer to work with midi files.

BUT, having generated a track in BIAB, it's very easy to import the midi file into Musescore.

Here's what Musescore looks like, playing one of my (non-BIAB) arrangements:

You may need to adjust your PC sound mixer to obtain the best quality playback, for example, I have mine usually set to Living Room/Jazz.
Thank you so much. My major problem is that I don’t actually have a PC anymore and only use an iPhone. I don’t even have internet. Being in a rural area we don’t get high speed the same as you. We can’t get Netflix or anything like that but I proper computer I’ll need.

I had a friend give me a MAC but it might need work and I’m not sure if it’s worth the investment since I could pick up a PC fairly cheap at Costco which is what I’m probably do.

Here's a sax quartet:

https://musescore.com/user/13500846/scores/2878086

Press the arrow (top left) to play .....
Very cool thanks.

Here’s some other music software I’ve recently discovered.

Other music software
Sibelious

Apparently IRealPro is like band in a Box but easier to use

Finale Notepad

Anytune

Logic

If you have a Mac, GarageBand . I’ve known about GarageBand but haven’t used it yet.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

13-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I play guitar (mostly) and dabble with bass, keyboard and mandolin. I've got quite a collection of guitars - four six string acoustics, a classical guitar, a 12 string jumbo, a resonator, and two electric guitars (a strat copy and a Gibson SG copy). I've also got a mandolin and a Yamaha keyboard, a couple of amplifiers and a little digital recording studio. I play mostly folk rock stuff - ranging from gentle acoustic instrumental stuff like this - https://soundcloud.com/user-11840510...44/petals-song
via classic songs like this Leonard Cohen number - https://soundcloud.com/user-11840510...he-end-of-love
to raucous blues like this - https://soundcloud.com/user-11840510...re-born-to-die
Wow. You truly ARE a musician. Nice collection of musical instruments. Gibson and Yamaha are good brand names here for musical instruments.

How long have you been into music and do you ever play with others?
Who are you biggest musical influences?
Who inspired you to get into music?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

13-12-2018, 04:16 PM

A digital recording studio. Whoa! Whatttt?
Oh I’m a tad jealous. That’s so very cool.
Maybe you could give us a sample of your stuff?
No pressure though. If you’d rather not it’s ok.
It costs a bit to upload I’m sure. I wouldn’t know cause I can’t donthat. I have to go to the library, McDonalds or my parents house to upload or download anything.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

13-12-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by tony58 ->
I play bass guitar and lead guitar and a little bit of violin. I play by ear, can read music but very slowly. Prefer the rockier style of music although I play in a covers band doing anything from the 60s onwards. Never played professionally but would have liked to. I also sing in our band. Been with the band over 20 years now. I just love playing live..
How exciting. I was hoping I’d find some musicians in here.
If you’ve been with your band for over 20 years and you’d like to play professionally why not start?

There are soooo many venues to choose from depending on the type of music you play. You could even start off pro bono to see how you like it and how others like you.

How did you get started in music and who inspired you to play?
Who are your greatest influences in music?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Wow. You truly ARE a musician. Nice collection of musical instruments. Gibson and Yamaha are good brand names here for musical instruments.

How long have you been into music and do you ever play with others?
Who are you biggest musical influences?
Who inspired you to get into music?
I've been into music my whole life. My mum and dad liked music and there was always music playing on our huge old radiogram at home. They loved Paul Robeson, The Inkspots, David Whitfield, Eartha Kitt and Glen Miller, as well as a lot of country music. I started playing guitar at 14 and was in a few groups with friends over the years. Having said that, I really play for myself and am rarely happier than working on something in my little garden shed studio.
I guess the musicians that have influenced me most are singer/songwriters like Dylan, John Martyn, Tom Waits, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen and bands like The Band, Rolling Stones and others.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

14-12-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I've been into music my whole life. My mum and dad liked music and there was always music playing on our huge old radiogram at home. They loved Paul Robeson, The Inkspots, David Whitfield, Eartha Kitt and Glen Miller, as well as a lot of country music. I started playing guitar at 14 and was in a few groups with friends over the years. Having said that, I really play for myself and am rarely happier than working on something in my little garden shed studio.
I guess the musicians that have influenced me most are singer/songwriters like Dylan, John Martyn, Tom Waits, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen and bands like The Band, Rolling Stones and others.
I have also. My father practiced the piano for hours at a time so we became accustomed to music from an early start. We all took piano lessons for years when we were kids. My brother started playing the banjo and ukulele early on and later in high school both brothers played band instruments, trumpet and trombone. Later when I played saxophone , we had our own little stage band. It really was quite fun.

While I played in bands and such, I also prefer playing on my own. It’s such a fulfilling thing to do?

A garden shed studio? You’ve got your own studio?
Can your neighbours here you ? If so, what do they think of it?

My neighbours aren’t close but we live in the country so sound can really travel. I try and be considerate about my playing so I’m not disturbing anybody but some days I just let loose.

Have you ever written or recording any of your own stuff?
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Hi Bratti

As you can see from my pic I am a none musician (Drummer)

I did learn to site read but that was long time ago so i don't think I could do it now

As regard playing professionally I used to play between five to seven nights a week all over the country but still had a day job so i always said i was Semi pro

Still have a drum kit although I have not played for over ten years since moving to Spain

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top