Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 08:41 PM

Re: Quitting the Booze

In my youngers years I was a cider drinker, I drank far too much for a woman really. It piled weight on me. I don't drink cider anymore I opt for home brewed white wine which works out at just over a quid a bottle. My husband and I share a bottle with our supper most nights.

One day we may quit but for now we enjoy our evening drink
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 04:36 PM

I stopped drinking alcohol when I was about twenty because I didn't see much point to it and I didn't enjoy the company of drunks anyway. I've never been drunk since then and certainly don't miss alcohol.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

19-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I stopped drinking alcohol when I was about twenty because I didn't see much point to it and I didn't enjoy the company of drunks anyway. I've never been drunk since then and certainly don't miss alcohol.
There's definitely a lot less hassles or crap to worry about in my life without alcohol. Never having to deal with a hangover again is a total winner and you end up spending far less. I think over time people start becoming wiser where alcohol is concerned and you can see it in the comments in this thread. It's good to see people being mindful about it.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 10:20 PM

I am now retired after about 40 years as a winemaker. In that time I can only remember twice when I overdid it and drank too much. I never suffered from hangovers. To me there are two types of problem drinkers. Drunks and alcoholics. The latter is really a medical condition where the consumer has a genetic variation to dealing with alcohol derived from our hunter gatherer ancestors, who had to consume fruits that had begun to ferment. I have a relation who is an alcoholic. It was hard for him to adjust and it is eventually solved by him adopting a positive approach when offered a glass by saying "Thank you but I am an alcoholic". Being an alcoholic is similar to being a diabetic, you must learn to live with it. Being a 'drunk' on the other hand is just social irresponsibilty.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 03:03 AM

Great post Cinderman. I couldn’t agree more.
I have a addictive type of personality and because of that I don’t drink often but when I do I can get drunk fairly easily . Another reason why I don’t drink often. Lol
Jasmeen
New Member!
On the Lake
Jasmeen is female 

30-09-2019, 10:50 PM

I have had a drinking problem before and gave it up for about 20 years. I went back to it and ended up with the same problem again. Now I have given it up again due to health reasons. I don't have a big income and am saving money and hopefully my health will improve too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:24 AM

I only drink with Dinner now, trouble is I'm having six Dinners every evening.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 07:42 AM

I always view drinking alcohol as a treat, so I don't want to stop drinking.

I enjoy the taste of wine so I allow myself one bottle a week and drink it with dinner over the weekend.
It is many years since I can remember feeling a bit tipsy, but I was young then!

If I remain within the guidelines for drinking, i don't think a small treat will do much harm & what is the point of extending you life if you have to do without these small pleasures?

Fortunately I am not one if those people who think " The more I have the happier it will make me"
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:02 AM

So true Twink, my rule is never have Dinner in the morning, stick to Breakfast.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top